New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Haggling saves over £200 a year

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
10 replies 2.3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"A survey found shoppers who aren't afraid to quibble saved roughly £220 last year, while men are more likely to try ..."
Read the full story:
Haggling saves over £200 a year

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• butterfly72butterfly72 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    I tried last week in John Lewis, we spent nearly 3K on a bedstead and mattress but they weren't having any of it!! Told me I should have come in the sale. Maybe I should have asked for a free pillow or matress protector - I didn't think of that!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • trynsavetrynsave Forumite
    812 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think companies are a lot less willing to haggle than they used to be. My insurance companies wouldn't entertain the idea, hence I jumped ship, and I have noticed that many shops now have signs up to say not to bother trying.
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree: haggling probably saves me more then £200 a year: I either can't be bothered or don't get what I want and walk away, either wait for the sale (to get it even cheaper) or manage to go without! Has saved me a fortune!!
  • edited 15 March 2011 at 12:31PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 March 2011 at 12:31PM
    Everyone knows that good customer service wins customers. If you treat your clientele right, they'll return, and ultimately invest more money in your business, rather than take their custom elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it seems in this day and age that it's not a 2-way process. For consumers, especially on the high street, it's all too common to adopt an "I Want" attitude, and it's about time that customers considered the repercussions of their actions.

With that in mind, I've written this "Customer Charter" - 10 things everyone should be taught before being unleashed onto the high street.

Yes, your salesperson may be able to give you discount - asking is fine, but don't push the point. And ask nicely.
    1. Sometimes though, salespeople truly can't give discount. If that's the case, take "no" as "no". Don't push with an "ah, go on" after you've been told that it's out of their control. Otherwise, just as troublemakers in fast food joints get their food with extra spit, the same kind of customer in other stores end up with TVs accidentally "dropped" from the stockroom, or clothes with a stitch "accidentally" ripped apart.
    2. Your salesperson does not know absolutely everything. If it feels like they're trying their best for you, recognise that. Smile and say thankyou for the effort, even if the staffer can't find out exactly what you need to know.
    3. 99% of staff in big-name shops don't care about one customer. There's 100 more around the corner. You only look like an !!! by announcing to half of the shop that you're "taking your custom elsewhere". As soon as you utter that phrase, the salesperson is thinking "go on then". If you were that important, you'd know it by now.
    4. Treat a staffer and you'll reap the rewards. I can tell you that I remember the face of EVERY customer I've ever server who has treated me. From monetary tips at Christmas to a bag of Maltesers as a thankyou for good service, as a salesperson I go out of my way to look after my best customers. I can confidently say that, even though they may not be conciously aware of it, every customer who has looked after me has made back their monetary outlay 10 times over in times of discounts, savings, and "thrown-in" freebies.
    5. Even if you're not the tipping type, a kind smile and an easy-going rapport can get you miles. Do you think you're going to get rushed out the door if a staffer wants to get rid of you? Of course they are.
    6. It may take an extra minute or two of your time, but listen to pitches for extras. Without interrupting that you don't need whatever's being offered. It's a well-known fact that many salespeople work on commission, and want to sell you that insurance/warranty/storecard. Even if you don't want it, listen intently, then ask if there's some way it can be made to work for the both of you. As an example, I bought a Nintendo Wii last year from a major UK electronics chain. Even though I had no need for the warranty, by taking it for one month (and then cancelling it after that), I spent out £6.99, but the salesman made enough commission from the signup to be convinced to knock 10% off the price and throw in a free game - a £45 value to me.
    7. Take names. Even if you're "just browsing" today, if there's a chance you might return to buy later, take down the name of the person who served you and ask for them specifically if you return to complete the deal. Often, commissions and bonuses play a part again, and you'll likely get better service (in a "mutual-backscratching" kind of way) if you're recognising that particular staffer's previous help on your last visit, with a sale this time around.
    8. Don't flash your status. If at any point in a transaction a staffer calls you, for example, Mrs Smith, and you correct them - "No, it's LADY Smith...", or you ask "Can I pay on my GOLD PLATINUM CARD?", you're instantly branded an !!! again. Lack of special treatment will ensue - with the added bonus that you can bet everyone (both customers and staff) in a 200-metre radius are laughing at you.
    9. And finally... the big one. Recommend. If someone's served you well in a store, recommend them. Get the word out. Tell your friends to ask for "name". More than likely, you'll both get looked after a lot better.
    So there you have it. If you've been given bad customer service lately, look over the list above and see which one you slipped up on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got home from haggling £10 off £150 purchase at Hein Gericke :)
  • grintrichagrintricha Forumite
    224 posts
    it helps to give them a reason to give you a discount

for instance when ordering a takeaway my first line when ringing up the take away place is always
    "Hi, I currently can't decide between curry, chinese or pizza what can you do to make my mind up?" and lo and behold, free stuff or discounts ensue
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    grintricha wrote: »
    "Hi, I currently can't decide between curry, chinese or pizza what can you do to make my mind up?"
    "Well sir, the curry has fresh rat pieces in, and the chinese special today is boiled rat, so i'd recommend the pizza." :D
  • Zack1Zack1 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Tried this with Tmobile, just to get them to price match 3, and they were pretty rude and basically told me to get lost. 3, already cheapest, gave me £20 voucher to use on their store (no min spend). Know which one I'll use in future........
  • MuckleCooMuckleCoo Forumite
    1 posts
    I do think it's worth trying to get some extras thrown in or a small discount when you're buying from a major multi-million pound retailer, but please don't hassle small independent shop keepers in the same way.
    I have a small shop, am very careful to charge reasonable prices, and in many cases I'm far cheaper than other shops selling similar items. I chose to keep my prices low in order to gain a good reputation for being reasonably priced.
    When customers ask me for a discount I have to say a polite 'no'. I find it very uncomfortable and embarrassing.
    The only way I could afford to offer the occasional discount would be by putting all my prices up to a higher value to start with.
  • KateLiana27KateLiana27 Forumite
    707 posts
    I have a weird, probably unpopular, take on haggling. I always feel that if someone is able and willing to slash their price just because I ask, they were probably trying to rip me off in the first place (and quite possibly still are). Why not just price the item fairly in the first place (ie cost + reasonable profit), rather than artificially inflating it so you can knock some off?

I am much more comfortable with shops that, like John Lewis in butterfly72's post above, set their price and stick to it for everyone. If I think something is overpriced, I just shop elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support