Halifax offering me O% on purchases and B/T

Options
Got a letter the other day saying that they were going to send me a C/C without any need for me to apply. I did used to have a Halifax card and don't rmemember if I still do, I have bundles of cards which I've used for the 0% in the past. They say I can have 9 months 0% BT plus a fee and 0% on purchases. Now I like to make purchases on my American express for the money back but having thought about it I'd be silly not to spend the £2000-£3000 on Xmas on the Halifax. I'd only earn £30 on AE but if I saved the £3000 for 9 months I could just about earn £100 in interest. Convinced myself.

PS. I wonder if they have done a credit check on me.

Comments

• kuohu
    kuohu Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    doodle_bug wrote:
    ... I'd be silly not to spend the £2000-£3000 on Xmas on the Halifax...

Wow can I come to your house for Xmas? :beer:
    DFW Nerd 035
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    £2k-£3k on xmas? Are you sure you are a moneysavingexpert?! :p
  • MarkyMark_2
    Options
    All halifax customers are getting that deal cos they halifax have changed over to mastercard from visa, so guessing you must still be a customer with them.
  • Rosie75
    Rosie75 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was offered that deal when I went into the branch. I didn't want another credit check done as I have recently arranged a mortgage and car loan, but I was told that I was pre-approved and they wouldn't run a check. (They can't have already credit checked you because they can't do this without your consent). The credit limit they gave me was rather scary though - £7500. Will be ringing them to get this reduced.
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: £9000 / £10,000
  • Welliesorter
    Options
    I had the letter too. I believe it's illegal to send you a card that you haven't applied for. What they are actually doing is replacing an existing Visa card with a Mastercard. There's therefore no reason for them to do a credit check.
  • doodle_bug
    Options
    Phoenix79 wrote:
    £2k-£3k on xmas? Are you sure you are a moneysavingexpert?! :p

LOL

I'm only going by past perfromance, I have 4 kids and normally the bill which comes through in January is about that.

I normally spend about £300 on each of them, my normal food bill is about £400 a month, sometimes it is a lot lower if I have plenty of money off coupons on the go. I'd say the general bill would be £1000 so £2000-£3000 is a fair guess. January food bill tends to be a lot less using all the food up from xmas.
  • Clarety_2
    Options
    Please be aware that if you use this new mastercard, and you already have outstanding items on your visa bill - any payments you make will be applied to the 0% purchases first. You will thereby incur interest chrges on the rest.

Eg- We were offered the card on 15 October, when we had £400 already incurred on the old visa card. The Halifax lady said that any purchases we made with the new card would be interest free. It being a different card we assumed it would be billed separately to the VIsa bill......and used the master
    card for a further £200. The bill arrived on 6th November with £600 oweing. (Mastercard and Visa purchases).

We had planned to pay off the original £400 in full, but now because we have used the mastercard if we do pay £400 - Halifax will use that to pay off the £200 spent on the mastercard (0% interest) and then use the rest to pay half of the £400 we had incurred on the Visa card.

We feel cheated of our 9months 0% interest. A valuable lesson in not to trust these banks.:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    And another reason why you should always read the terms and conditions of an account.
  • King_Of_Fools
    Options
    Clarety wrote:
    Please be aware that if you use this new mastercard, and you already have outstanding items on your visa bill - any payments you make will be applied to the 0% purchases first. You will thereby incur interest chrges on the rest.

Eg- We were offered the card on 15 October, when we had £400 already incurred on the old visa card. The Halifax lady said that any purchases we made with the new card would be interest free. It being a different card we assumed it would be billed separately to the VIsa bill......and used the master
    card for a further £200. The bill arrived on 6th November with £600 oweing. (Mastercard and Visa purchases).

We had planned to pay off the original £400 in full, but now because we have used the mastercard if we do pay £400 - Halifax will use that to pay off the £200 spent on the mastercard (0% interest) and then use the rest to pay half of the £400 we had incurred on the Visa card.

We feel cheated of our 9months 0% interest. A valuable lesson in not to trust these banks.:mad: :mad: :mad:
    But if you pay off the full £600 you can still take advantage of the remaining 8 months 0% interest free on future purchases. So you have only really lost the interest free on the £200 spent so far.
  • yaacov81
    yaacov81 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    if you have o% on purchases does that mean you dont even have to make the min payment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure