We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
the back of a PC
exprog
Posts: 413 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
My new PC has loads of slots on the back of the machine for stuff to be plugged into.
Is there an online guide to what all these things are supposed to be for?
I normally just plug stuff in and hope for the best but I'd prefer to have a guide.
Is there an online guide to what all these things are supposed to be for?
I normally just plug stuff in and hope for the best but I'd prefer to have a guide.
0
Comments
-
Could you take a picture and post it on here? I'm sure there would be loads of people happy to help
R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx0 -
-
Good find!0 -
Did your new PC not come with a manual of some kind?0
-
-
Brilliant. Just what I wanted. :j0 -
They're all colour-coded too, so the colour of the plug on the mouse, keyboard etc should match the colour of the socket on the machine, hopefully.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_System_Design_Guide
I assume by 'slots' you mean the sockets, not the expansion slots for PCI cards, etc. - which are usually covered with blanking plates like these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slimline-PCI-expansion-slot-blanking-plate-inc-screw_W0QQitemZ150547177024QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=217041495696&rvr_id=217041495696&cguid=2c134cd11290a0aad5344c74ff4837fc#ht_3035wt_11080 -
They're all colour-coded too, so the colour of the plug on the mouse, keyboard etc should match the colour of the socket on the machine, hopefully.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_System_Design_Guide
I assume by 'slots' you mean the sockets, not the expansion slots for PCI cards, etc. - which are usually covered with blanking plates like these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slimline-PCI-expansion-slot-blanking-plate-inc-screw_W0QQitemZ150547177024QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=217041495696&rvr_id=217041495696&cguid=2c134cd11290a0aad5344c74ff4837fc#ht_3035wt_1108
Now that you mention it, I also assume I mean 'sockets' - I'm really not good on these things!
Curiously enough, my new PC does not have what I now understand to be called PS/2 Ports, one purple and one green. What it does have is one such Port, half of which is coloured green and half coloured purple. It also has what I gather is called a USB Port next to it.
My green mouse thingy is only a green round thing because it has an attachment to make it so. I'm assuming I can just pop it (without the attachment) into the USB Port and connect my Purple keyboard to the two-colour PS/2 Port. That's what I'll be doing later, anyway.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards