We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Help - laptop issues, and new antivirus
scubaangel
Posts: 6,600
Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I've a couple of questions if anyone can help.
The first and possibly the more serious is that this evening my laptop has started displaying error messages informing me that my harddrive has errors. The one which just popped up says 'Critical Error. Your private data may be at risk' (am posting from my netbook rather than the laptop). And then trying to run 'System Diagnostics' but the program just doesnt look 'right' to me - certainly it doesnt appear to be a microsoft program. So I'm wondering if it's a virus that my antivirus hasn't picked up?
Secondly the antivirus on both my netbook and laptop is due to run out this month so I'm wondering what is best to use at the moment?
The first and possibly the more serious is that this evening my laptop has started displaying error messages informing me that my harddrive has errors. The one which just popped up says 'Critical Error. Your private data may be at risk' (am posting from my netbook rather than the laptop). And then trying to run 'System Diagnostics' but the program just doesnt look 'right' to me - certainly it doesnt appear to be a microsoft program. So I'm wondering if it's a virus that my antivirus hasn't picked up?
Secondly the antivirus on both my netbook and laptop is due to run out this month so I'm wondering what is best to use at the moment?
It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
Sir Terry Pratchett
Find my diary here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Sir Terry Pratchett
Find my diary here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
0
Comments
-
1. look below, there are about 20 threads about this infection and how to clear it up.
1st thing to try, shutdown, and do a system restore
2. Avast 6 free + malwarebytes free!!
> . !!!! ----> .0 -
-
Thanks closed, it only just started to try to run the 'system diagnostics' as i posted if it'd been there before i'd have searched it (I'm not usually one to ignore previous threads).
Malwarebytes I already run when I don't think my usual av has picked things up so I'll get avast 6 once I've sorted the virus.It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
Sir Terry Pratchett
Find my diary here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards