We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Windows 7 Indexing - How to turn it off

I have a new win7 laptop and I'm trying to eek as much 'performance' from it as possible. I've removed all the pre-installed bloatware, all the unnecessary startup entries and services, cleared it out with CCleaner, and defragged the hard drive. It's now a lot faster to boot up and more responsive during use. The only thing left to sort out is to ditch drive indexing as I understand this is an unnecessary use of resources (I always know where to find my stuff and never have to search for anything).

But what's the best way to turn it off??

If I click on the properties for the hard disk there's a 'allow files on this drive to have contents indexed...' checkbox which is currently ticked.

Then in control panel 'turn windows features on or off' there is 'windows search' which is currently on.

Finally in services there is 'windows search' which is currently set for 'automatic'

So which of these do I disable? Or all of them? Whaty is the function of each?

TIA

Comments

  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,850
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does Googling for "windows 7 turn off indexing" get you anywhere? Or do you go "Eek"?!
  • John_Gray wrote: »
    Does Googling for "windows 7 turn off indexing" get you anywhere? Or do you go "Eek"?!

    Sigh... Yes of course I googled it, and have not found a definitive answer as to where to switch it off, hence my post. If I could have found a satisfactory answer on google I would not have risked exposing myself to the pedants and trolls on this forum ;) eek!
  • Millionaire
    Millionaire Posts: 3,748
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Personally I would leave it on. IMO is doesn't affect the system performance that much once it's settled down on a new pc.

    Also, even though I know where most programs are located on my PC, using the search feature is a a lot quicker.
  • dg1dd1ngs_2
    dg1dd1ngs_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Type 'Services' in the Windows search bar, click on it. Scroll down to 'Windows Search' and right click on it, select 'Properties', and where it says Startup type, choose from the drop down 'Disabled' then click 'Apply'
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • GeoffX
    GeoffX Posts: 417
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2011 at 10:26PM
    A better way is to right-click on a drive in Windows Explorer, click the properties tab, then uncheck "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". If you have more than one hard disk or partition, do it for each of them.

    If I remember correctly, disabling the service means you also lose the search boxes in both Windows Explorer and on the Start menu.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,850
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sigh... Yes of course I googled it, and have not found a definitive answer as to where to switch it off, hence my post. If I could have found a satisfactory answer on google I would not have risked exposing myself to the pedants and trolls on this forum ;) eek!
    Perhaps you should have stated what you had already done to solve your problem, then. Not everyone is psychic.
  • John_Gray wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have stated what you had already done to solve your problem, then. Not everyone is psychic.

    John if you have something constructive and informative to contribute to my initial question then I would be pleased to hear it. Otherwise please go and troll in another thread. Of course, in all future posts I will prefix my question with "I have googled but not found a satisfactory answer" just to keep people like you happy. Jeeez...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.