New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Primus Saver launches cheapest-ever landline rental deal

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
11 replies 4K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Households will pay £6.79 a month if they sign-up via comparison site Homephone Choices by 4 April ..."

Replies

• anselldanselld Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All very well, but I signed up to the last "cheapest ever" before christmas and 2 billing months on I still cant get it down to 7.99 per month as was advertised.

First month they charged be 2.50 for caller ID I didn't request.

Last month they charged me £8 + 20% VAT.

Call centre support is rubbish too.

Wish I never left BT!
  • edited 9 March 2011 at 2:13AM
    A.Penny.SavedA.Penny.Saved Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2011 at 2:13AM
    It sounds like a good deal and I am tempted to switch from BT basic but I do get caller display from BT which is basically free. So that would need to be paid for and many telephone providers really charge a lot for caller display.

I seem to remember that Primus were claiming that it's only 50p a month when I last looked at their services but anselld's £2.50 suggests that also isn't true.

Getting back to a service which doesn't block override providers so I can get away from using VOIP would of been welcome but the Primus service doesn't seem up to much and cannot really be trusted.

I dread to think what they would do with my broadband, probably get it disconnected and mean me having to pay to have that activated again. That might be needed anyway if the phone provider is switched.

So it doesn't seem like the holy grail of telephone services to me.
  • neil40neil40 Forumite
    753 posts
    Sky seems a good deal.£9.25 per month if paid 1 year in advance.£11.25 if paid monthly.Free caller display & free eve & weekend calls.

Neil
  • xanthexanthe Forumite
    329 posts
    Tried to sign up two months ago. Got a confirmation email after registering then heard NOTHING from them again, despite several emails chasing them.

Signed up with Plusnet instead but installation date was 2 months after registration!
  • gadgeteer_2gadgeteer_2 Forumite
    766 posts
    I have a LLU ADSL provider (Bethere). Does anyone know if I can i have Primus for my telephone line but continue using Bethere as my ISP?

Thanks
  • A.Penny.SavedA.Penny.Saved Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Gadgeteer wrote: »
    I have a LLU ADSL provider (Bethere). Does anyone know if I can i have Primus for my telephone line but continue using Bethere as my ISP?

Thanks
    I think you can but I don't think I would risk it with Primus as they will probably get your broadband disconnected and you will have to pay for re-connection. I did ask on the Bethere forum about changing phone providers and I was told that it can be done providing the line is not disconnected which would stop the broadband.

Ask on the Bethere forum but knowing what Primus will really do is a big guess.
  • R34GTTR34GTT Forumite
    424 posts
    I switched to Primus saver for my landline and it has no impact on your existing broadband service.

Make sure you cancel all landline features such as CallerID, CallDivert etc before switching.

I've been wrangling with their inept customer services for months to get the billing correct as they charge extra for these services unlike my previous provider. I *think* they have now sorted it all out so my next bill should be the £8.99 I signed up for.
  • edited 16 March 2011 at 5:55PM
    Jake'sGranJake'sGran Forumite
    3.3K posts
    edited 16 March 2011 at 5:55PM
    I have been with Primus for years but yesterday I received a letter from BT and have taken their offer of £3 month all phone calls including 0870 and 0845 and line rental of £10 per month if paid up front. This is a big saving compared to what I was paying previously to Primus and BT.

The BT offer also includes caller ID and 1571.

I used to be an admirer of Primus but recently I have sent three emails and none has been responded to.
  • I have just had £442.00 taken from my account by this internet service. I signed up from BT to save a few quid a month and I think perhaps I may have made a mistake. I use p2p software and was unaware they charge £2 per gig upload and download fee over 20gb. Im not sure whether I made a mistake or they have just set this trap for users that dont really understand what filesharing software is but beware. They only billed me 3 months into the service so I was unaware that I was running up such a cost. Until they cleaned out my account and put me into my overdraft and now i am paying charges and havnt been able to buy food. I rang customer services but have no idea if I have any rights or if I if I have just been stupid and signed up for the wrong package.... BEWARE....
  • edited 22 January 2012 at 10:23AM
    dreamypumadreamypuma Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 January 2012 at 10:23AM
    ripoffgb wrote: »
    I have just had £442.00 taken from my account by this internet service. I signed up from BT to save a few quid a month and I think perhaps I may have made a mistake. I use p2p software and was unaware they charge £2 per gig upload and download fee over 20gb. Im not sure whether I made a mistake or they have just set this trap for users that dont really understand what filesharing software is but beware. They only billed me 3 months into the service so I was unaware that I was running up such a cost. Until they cleaned out my account and put me into my overdraft and now i am paying charges and havnt been able to buy food. I rang customer services but have no idea if I have any rights or if I if I have just been stupid and signed up for the wrong package.... BEWARE....

The £2per GB charge is clearly shown on their website and forms a part of your contract with Primus. If you have exceeded your allowance then then you are liable for the additional charges. If this takes you into an overdraft, that has nothing to do wth Primus.

It,s so easy to blame companies when the user hasn't made no effort to understand the commitments they are making.
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support