A credit card with your own bank. Easier?

Options
Hi all,

Does anyone know if applying for a CC with your bank that you hold your accounts with (ie, current,savings) makes it more likely that you will get one?

I have applied for M&S recently and been turned down and I really can't understand why as I only have one CC (as below) and I have a high credit score and a clear payment history, I am good with finances.

Anyway I bank with Halifax and have all of my accounts with them, so I am thinking of applying for the One card. Does anyone think I have more of a chance??

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• sjc_2
    sjc_2 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Makes sense to me, I have recently took on a First Direct CC as I Bank with them, forgetting the 0% Offer for 6 Months which I don't need the benefit to me was when I went through my online Account to apply it stated I have a reserved and pre agreed Card available with a £6.4K Credit Limit which was more than enough for my need. The other major benefit is I can transfer the money from my Account which has an Offset Mortgage attached to it straight to the CC on the same day so don't have to lose 3 - 5 Days interest whilst my money moves from First Direct to say Barclaycard. Easier to manage as well.
    Cheers
    Steve
  • Fahim_2
    Fahim_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    You should be able to get it as you bank with them and also for your score. When I got approved, my credit score according to experian was 629.
    01. Marriott Rewards VISA (£2700 @ 17.9%)
    02. HSBC MasterCard (£2250 @ 14.9%)
    03. HALIFAX One MasterCard (£2200 @ 12.9%)
    04. Monument VISA (£1000 @ 19.9%)
    05. Aqua MasterCard (£500 @ 29.9%)
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Not that this score means anything other than a very rough guess.
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Fahim wrote:
    You should be able to get it as you bank with them and also for your score. When I got approved, my credit score according to experian was 629.

That score doesn't mean anything with regards to credit providers. It is designed by Experian as a quick way to lose £5 or £6. Each provider will have its own internal credit scoring which is kept confidential.
  • Fahim_2
    Fahim_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    M_Thomson wrote:
    That score doesn't mean anything with regards to credit providers. It is designed by Experian as a quick way to lose £5 or £6. Each provider will have its own internal credit scoring which is kept confidential.

The score is just a idea of how likely you are to be accepted or not...just a numbering scale of ur credit status...
    01. Marriott Rewards VISA (£2700 @ 17.9%)
    02. HSBC MasterCard (£2250 @ 14.9%)
    03. HALIFAX One MasterCard (£2200 @ 12.9%)
    04. Monument VISA (£1000 @ 19.9%)
    05. Aqua MasterCard (£500 @ 29.9%)
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Fahim wrote:
    The score is just a idea of how likely you are to be accepted or not...just a numbering scale of ur credit status...

Which hopefully the majority of people should be able to suss out themselves
  • Leanne200
    Leanne200 Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that, my alleged score is about 800ish.. I didn't think I would be turned down for the last 2 cards especially M&S so I am a bit wary.

Maybe I will call them tomorrow to ask and see what they say.
  • **purplemoon**
    Options
    We have several cards between us, but we got the highest credit limits on cards from our own bank ;)
  • PRINCE$$
    Options
    Leanne200 wrote:
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if applying for a CC with your bank that you hold your accounts with (ie, current,savings) makes it more likely that you will get one?

I have applied for M&S recently and been turned down and I really can't understand why as I only have one CC (as below) and I have a high credit score and a clear payment history, I am good with finances.

Anyway I bank with Halifax and have all of my accounts with them, so I am thinking of applying for the One card. Does anyone think I have more of a chance??

Thanks in advance! :D

Hopefully it will work for you but I have recently applied with my own bank (HSBC) and was declined despite the fact that I have banked with them for 4 years and had a credit card with them in the past which I never had any missed/late payments on.
    I've been told in general it is easier though, this may be unusual.
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Well I have had four credit cards off my bank for stoozing purposes in the last four years, none of which generated a credit search. If your bank account is squeaky clean, I would suggest you will have a better chance. But then I work for the bank concerned so that might have had an influence.
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport