Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Suggestions please

Options
Strapped
Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
Right then, I turn the big 4-0 next year and want to "celebrate" by doing something...well, different, something challenging, something for me but maybe something that will also raise money for charity. I'm reasonably fit (I do martial arts) but willing to get fitter/train towards something that is a physical challenge.

Any suggestions? Where should I start?

I'd prefer to do something for a cancer charity.
They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get in touch with either a local or national cancer charity and see if they have any suggestions: they may have a big 'thing' you could join, or I'm sure they would have ideas of things others have done!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    Options
    I really like this idea, it's a great way to celebrate being 40 and fabulous :) Have you thought about doing the marathon? Most cancer charities get places (see here) or there could be a local one that you could do. Instead of raising money for charity you could donate your martial art skills for example see about running a self defence class for a local women's group or teach martial arts to deprived children? You could also teach classes and charge a certain amount per head for your local cancer charity.
  • QueenBee
    QueenBee Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    How about 40 different things .....you could be sponsored per thing ?
    Or 40 mile bike ride / swim / run ?
    :jPobodys Nerfect:j
  • bubbles1986
    Options
    Its my husbands 30th this year, im planning a skydive for him, he is unaware of this but hope to raise enough so he will jump!
  • heretolearn_2
    heretolearn_2 Posts: 3,565 Forumite
    Options
    How much time do you have? Something like walking Hadrian's wall? Skydiving is great, I did that, loved it and was a good fundraiser (I paid for the parachuting myself) and you get a great photo as a momento.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • fran-o
    fran-o Posts: 807 Forumite
    Options
    Sites like http://www.discoveradventure.com/ or http://www.charitychallenge.com have lots of different challenges and adventures (UK & abroad) where you can choose your own charity to raise money for. If its a run you fancy then call your preferred charity/ look at their website and see what they can offer you.
    fran-o
  • dearbarbie
    dearbarbie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    thought about a cycle? i did london to paris over 4 days with https://www.skylineevents.co.uk - great fun x
    :A
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    agree with Fran-O - I went to China with Discover Adventure. I trekked the Great Wall for my 30th Birthday. It was an amazing adventure, and I would recommend doing something like that if you get the chance.

Definitely look for Charity Challenges online - you'll get loads of ideas..! One thing to consider though - if you go on a minimum sponsorship package, the charity gets less money. I paid for my own challenge, and raised almost £5k.
    Good Luck!(oh, I did mine for a cancer charity too!)
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guy at work had a big party for his 40th, asked for donations to the unit that had looked after his little girl when she was very poorly.

He got to see family without them bringing him presents he didn't feel he needed, I thought it was a nice, simple idea. :)

I cruised Alaska for my 40th birthday, that was awesome/memorable/once in a lifetime.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure