🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cards Affiliated to Banks

Options
Hi, I have just entered into an IVA and First Direct are closing the current account I have had, unblemished, for 16 years - and without ever using the overdraft facility! Nice, eh?!
So I am now looking to open a basic bank account but where can I find out which credit cards are affiliated to certain banks?
From reading the excellent posts on here, the Co-Op and Yorkshire Bank have good basic accounts, and even CitiBank have been recommended but, as I had several credit cards, don't want to open an account with one of these to find all my income confiscated !
Rescued by MSE! Profile name out of date as, thankfully, with lots of help from this site, have cleared my debts! Many thanks to MSE and good luck to all !!:dance:

Comments

• FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Hello ... I am afraid First Direct are very IVA unfriendly !! However, as you say, Co-Op are good , as are Natwest and Yorkshire Building Society. It would be easier if you posted your creditors and we can see who knows which are linked to which.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HSBC and first direct are the same so avoid HSBC.
  • DrowninginDebt
    Options
    First of all, thank you for the replies to my post - its a nice community on here and any advice is welcome!

I rang the National Debtline and they were very helpful in giving the exact info I needed so here is a link to the banks with affiliated credit cards by typing in lendingstandardsboard dot org dot uk then subscriberlist.php

I have contacted Yorkshire Bank who say they now do not accept IVAs, also the Nationwide who say the same. The Post Office Card account is only for people on benefits or government pensions but I have just rung the Co-op Bank and they were so efficent and pleasant and opened an account immediately - well recommended ! Some of these banks do not make things easy for people already in a difficult situation but are attempting to get straight! Good luck to everybody on here - here's to a debt free future! :T
    Rescued by MSE! Profile name out of date as, thankfully, with lots of help from this site, have cleared my debts! Many thanks to MSE and good luck to all !!:dance:
  • FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Handy link there DinD, thanks. I have an (well 2) account with the co-op and all is good, so far. I also have an account with Natwest which offers a cheque book (but is I have discovered linked to one of my creditors -- so they might close on me anytime). I just use it for the odd cheque I need to write and pay in enough to cover the cheques as and when. So, if it goes, it goes ;0)

Best of luck.
  • DrowninginDebt
    Options
    Hi FoggyBrain
    So there is life in an IVA! I only started mine at the end of January so still trying to find my feet! Its frightening to think you don't have a cushion to draw on should you need finances for a major purchase but hey ho, at least its a chance to get straight, especially when my debt was not self imposed - very unfair but hey ho, at least I haven't lost my optimism and bright outlook on life!
    It appears you are very helpful on this site so a big thank you from me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport