Great 'managing money with dementia' Hunt

1235»

Comments

• Can anyone advise what is best to do in this situation please. My father is in a care home under assessment for his dementia. He is well beyond having the mental capacity to deal with his finances, and I doubt will ever leave the care home. He has vascular dementia, which is very advanced.

My mother has a joint bank account with him, and their state and private pensions go into it.

My mother has recently been told that the joint bank account could be frozen, and is obviously fretting. Is there any likelihood of this happening? As she spent years caring for my father, and their the condition of their property declined due to lack of attention and a flood in the kitchen, she is now having some work done, but nothing outrageous, she is concerned that this could be seen as spending "his money" and cause her account to be frozen.

The state and private pensions they receive are for each of their names, but the split is not 50/50, dad's part is bigger than mums.

There is no power of attorney in place as they were advised against it by solicitor when they visited whilst dad still had the mental capacity to actually complete one!

TIA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport