washing machine warranty

Options
We bought a hotpoint washing machine last year for about £250. Now we have a warranty offer in the post from Currys. 4 yrs cover fro £116.

Does anyone think that is a good cover price and worth it? Any experiences of using currys coverplan?

cheers

Comments

• alexuk_4
    Options
    OH NO NOT ANOTHER HOTPOINT!!!

Yes, personally i would go for it, because if it breaks down (sorry, prob will!), you'll be covered. Seems a good price.

I have just replaced my Bosch washing machine for another. Brilliant machine, and i have to look to see that it is actually on! It's soooo quiet. And washes soooo fast!

Try https://www.domgen.com (I think) see what they quote u, but be warned not the best people!!!

Good Luck!

PS Watch the wording of the policy, some offer depreciation (SPelling) ie the older the machine gets, the less they pay towards a new one. Try get a policy 'New for Old'
  • wage_slave_3
    Options
    currys offer a new for old policy if they cant repair within 6 weeks under coverplan (this is from the date you report the fault NOT the date the engineer first visits)
    If your machine is still within first year warranty it might be worth going directly to a currys store and asking if they will do it any cheaper. Ask nicely, nice people sometimes get, nasty ones never do:)
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    in the end decided not to bother with the warranty...cheers for the advice so far. I suppose its a bit of luck if we get a good few years trouble free from the machine.
  • mutley74
    Options
    what do you know...we thought we had missed the offer from currys last letter. They must be desperate...as they have sent out another reminder offer us teh deal until mid sept. Can one bargain with them on the phone for some discount?
  • Andy_ArT_Trigg
    Options
    One way of looking at it could be, if you saw the washing machine on offer at £366, with a 5 year warranty, and you only had to pay £250 up front and the other £160 a year later, would you have gone for it?

Personally though, I think most extended warranties are a wast of money. If you spend your life covering everything you will always pay more in the long run. I'd rather take the chance and even if every so often I get stung for a repair or have to scrap something prematurely I believe that I am still many hundreds or thousands of pounds up in the big picture.
    Whitegoodshelp
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't touch those instore warranty offers with a pair of tongs and welders gloves...they're designed to burn a whole in your pocket.

There are people that have got round the warranty thing recently, as the store lawfully has a responsibility for your product well after the manufacturers one year warranty has expired. Which again makes their warranty offers worthless.

If your washing machine was a car it would be a write off if the repairs exceeded about 60% of its current value. Your situation isn't quite that ratio but it's pretty much there.

My Bosch has just given up after 6 years and i'm just going to get a new one, as I think it's uneconomical to repair it at its age.
  • mutley74
    Options
    Andy and redon Red

You are both right with your views. I have not got anything else in thehouse covered with a warranty, unless i managed to get it free at the time. But thinking that we use our machine 3-4 times/week in the house, if something wetn wrong within it would cause severe disruption i.e. taking wshing to a relatives place etc. Then the time to find a repair man to fix the machine, get a quote etc.

Whereas with this warranty, i see the attraction, its just a phone call away. I dont like buying extended warranties, but in this case, i am still trying to weigh up the pros/cons of this.

cheers
  • cabstar
    Options
    Hi

Used to work in a domestic appliance shop.

I was always amazed when people would pay approx £120 to have bearings replaced in washing machines. We used to sell brand new ones in the shop for £180.00

We used to say to customers if you get 3 years out of a washer that you had payed £200.00 for then that had cost you £1.28 per week for its life, surely that is cheaper than bag wash etc?????

We always advised buy the £180.00 it will last 3 years then buy another. We werent on commission just my observations watching people pay pounds having them repaired then 6 months to year later buy a new one.

As for the Currys extended gaurantee, they are really good gaurantees but don't expect a washing machine repair man to just appear you will have to wait like everyone else. £116 will virtually buy you a new machine,

;););)

Regards

Gary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills