Under 16's Oyster card - What happens now?

Options
Hello all,

Basicilly, today was the first day of my work expirience (Year 10 - going to the city) , so I had to get a tube back from Liverpool St station. As it was my first journey there, I got lost. As a result, I touched into the "London Overground" bit, then realised that its the wrong bit, asked the person to let me out (explaining what happend - i touched in by accident) they did. Then, before getting the tube, I checked my oyster (had £2.something on it) - put a pound on, touched in on the tube bit, then touched out at the end of my journey.

Now, Im thinking that becuase I touched in on the overground, and they let me out (without touching out) using the big barrier thing, I could get a penalty (and i really cannot let that happen - il be late ect). Does anyone know if that will happen or not? As im starting to slightly panic.

Thanks
Aman

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2011 at 9:31PM
    Options
    There is no 'London Overground' at Liverpool Street. Presumably you mean National Rail. They are different and it has the potential to cost you money if you don't know the difference, nit picking as it may sound.

You might get a penalty - not sure if touching in to the tube a few minutes later will prevent it. If you do you ought to be able to get a refund - it may even happen automatically. Is your card registered?? Presumably as it's a U16 one it is
  • Amanha2010
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    There is no 'London Overground' at Liverpool Street. Presumably you mean National Rail. They are different and it has the potential to cost you money if you don't know the difference, nit picking as it may sound.

You might get a penalty - not sure if touching in to the tube a few minutes later will prevent it. If you do you ought to be able to get a refund - it may even happen automatically. Is your card registered??

Its a under 16's photocard - I have no clue if its registered or not. I might of done, but forgot the password. I suppose il find out tommrow. Do you think il end up with a penalty at 9 in the morning?
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would think it's registered as you have to supply full details to get it.

Which means that they might well have contact details for you.

You should be able to check your balance online

https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/link/0004.do

If it tells you the card already has an account associated then try the forgotten password option
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only penalty you'll possibly incur would be that of a full fare (£6 ish?) deducted from the Oyster Card as it's prepay as opposed to a Travelcard. I assume that's what you meant be penalty?
  • Amanha2010
    Amanha2010 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Well, theres only one way to find out what happens. If i can sucessfully board the bus (a 147, then 25, then 243) without any problems, Il know all is alright for now. Il post back when I get to my work expience about what happend, and if I had to pay the £6.something full fare.

Thanks
    Aman
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can check the balance at any tube station or ticket agent
  • Amanha2010
    Options
    Right. I checked the "Oyster History" at the tube station - it said i have one incomplete journey (70p deducted) from my oyster.But, I got to work sucessfully on the bus. Currentley, I have £2.32 on my oyster now, and looks like i will be charged £6.something for the journey (meaning I will end up in debt on the oyster). I leave work at 4pm - so if I put £10 on my oyster after I leave, will it work after? Or will TFL take the recent topup aswell? (If that made sense)

Sorry - I dont really use oyster cards - thats why im asking the dumb questions

Thanks
    Aman
  • SurreyBear
    SurreyBear Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but this thread has confused me a bit too.
    I thought 16 - 18 year olds in full time education got free travel?
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14308.aspx
  • Amanha2010
    Options
    Yes, They do, only on the buses. Not the tube, DLR, or anything else covered by oysters. And, I have a 11-15 Oyster card - Not 16-18.
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think you will get charged £6 or so - that's for adults

I think the 70p IS the 'penalty' fare - zones 1-6 child fare peak single
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income