train ticket - what if I miss my connection?

Options
Apologise if this seems like a stupid question, but I don't think I've bought train tickets in advance where you have to change trains before.

I bought them from Trainline.com. You have to catch the specified trains. There is a half hour wait in London before getting the next train. But I have just started thinking - what if the first train out of my hometown is late, and I miss the onward train to final destination. (The tickets show the final destination). In this case would I be allowed to catch the next available train, or would I need to get another ticket?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If it happens, go to the ticket office at the intermediate station and get your ticket validated for the later train.
  • Orrin
    Orrin Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you miss a connection because your train was delayed then you shouldn't have any problems taking a later train.

If your train is delayed ask the guard to endorse the ticket or go to the ticket office and get it validated for a later service.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no requirement to get a ticket endorsed/validated, but if the guard does come round on your delayed train it may be worth asking the guard to write something. I wouldn't go out of your way queuing for ages at a central London terminal which could end up causing you to miss a train you would otherwise have caught!
    b) If delays occur while
    travelling, they will be
    allowed to take the next
    available train(s) to complete
    their journey.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/advance_conditions.html
    If delays occur while travelling, you will be allowed to take the next available train(s) to complete your journey.

No "ifs" or "buts" about endorsing/validating!
  • Bunter_2
    Bunter_2 Posts: 128 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2011 at 1:53PM
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    Apologise if this seems like a stupid question, but I don't think I've bought train tickets in advance where you have to change trains before.

I bought them from Trainline.com. You have to catch the specified trains. There is a half hour wait in London before getting the next train. But I have just started thinking - what if the first train out of my hometown is late, and I miss the onward train to final destination. (The tickets show the final destination). In this case would I be allowed to catch the next available train, or would I need to get another ticket?

Cannot add anything to what has already been said but you have raised a good point about some of the difficulties that can be encountered with advance tickets.

Rail company's consider that five minutes is sufficient time to get from one train to another at an intermediary station. So you may have to struggle from one platform to another with luggage not knowing what platform you have landed at or which one you are supposed to be headed for, all within the space of 5 minutes.

Also, although you may be blameless and held up by a late train, the assumption seems to be that you are at fault and you have a lot of explaining to do; perhaps having to purchase a new ticket and then hoping to be re-imbursed after appealing to the train company.

There are some advance tickets that are so cheap that you would be foolish to refuse them but if there is only a relatively small differential between an advance ticket and an off peak ticket it may be advisable to choose the off peak for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have a choice of trains.
  • TwistedPsycho
    Options
    I am not sure what journey you are making but most recommendations for London are a SIXTY minute interchange.

If you have a single ticket to cover your entire journey (example. Birmingham to Portsmouth via London) For my colleagues in the rail industry, you may point out that the technical term might be "Route: VWC + connections" or something then yes, if you are delayed on any part of the journey due to the railway, you are entitled to travel on the next available service.

If you have seperate tickets (example. Birmingham to London Terminals/Zone U1 and then a London Terminals to Portsmouth) then because you have two seperate tickets, then the TOC is not actually obligued to do anything to get you to your destination - although some train managers/conductors/guards are more ameinable on this than others.

If you miss the train because you did not get to your starting station in time, then you are entitled to nothing, but always try it on, everyone else does.

Hope this helps
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family