Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Buchanan, Clark and Wells. HELP!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
7 replies 1.6K views
mummysmoneymummysmoney Forumite
8 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I received a letter from Buchanan, Clark and Wells demanding £1600, threatening all sorts of things. Taking my wages (good luck, I am on benefits) and visiting my home to take my belongings, not to mention threats of court action.

The thing is, the reference for this letter is "First Financial Write-Off Accounts". Does that mean what I think it does? It has been written off by First Financial, but BCW are still chasing it? I am pretty sure this is a debt from around 10 years ago, when my ex husband and I were still together.

Any advice would be fantastic people!

Replies

• TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite likely it might mean that - the firm is full of complete muppets. But it could easily be a debt they have bought on from first financial and have manged to forget to change the reference number!

I would suggest you start with the prove it letter here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11570893&postcount=2
    If they come back with anything that shows it might be your debt then you might want to consider if the debt would be statute barred.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Thanks Tixy! I will get straight onto that! They phoned me today and I asked for everything to be sent to me in writing as I would rather not discuss the matter on the telephone, and the woman said "Well, it is past that now. You are more likely to get someone turning up at your door". I just said "fine" and put the phone down. How rude was she!?
  • TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You almost certainly won't get anyone turning up at the door. In the unlikely event you do it will just be a field agent with no rights at all and they'll have had a wasted trip. Don't let them in, don't discuss anything with them and tell them to leave (if they refuse you could threaten to call the police - but they won't refuse).

If they keep phoning you then there is a telephone harrasment letter you can send. But I would start with the prove it letter and send recorded so you can prove they have signed for it.
  • Dear Tixy,

How would one know if a debt was statute barred or not?

Thanks.

TG
  • TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A debt becomes statute barred 6years (in england/wales) after you last paid anything towards it or acknowledged that you owed the money in writing (to the creditor or a DCA) and assuming they haven't taken you to court and obtained a CCJ against you - full info and factsheets here -
    Statute barred debts and the Limitation Acts
  • king100king100 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Check your credit file to see if a CCJ has been applied to that account.

If not then send prove it letter.

These guys are at the bottom of the pond, they will tell you you owe £1600 but we can do a deal for 80%, if they do, ask yourself, if they have a valid CCA, or a CCJ against you why settle for 20% od the debt why not the full amount.

They will start off with the full amount then offer you something lower.
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • FTWFTW
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're sure there's no CCJ, Prove It letter first, then Statute Barred letter if they persist.

Do NOT sign any letters you send (never divulge your signature to a debt collection agency), and send any letter recorded delivery - DCAs have an annoying habit of denying receipt of pertinent letters.
This discussion has been closed.