Quick question..

Options
my husband and I privately rent, we've been in this property for a few months now, we love the house and LL is great.Ive checked our tenancy agreement and can see nothing about Bankruptcy, however do I need to notify the LA or LL.it is just me going bankrupt. Do I have an obligation to inform LL?? My husband pays the rent out of his account.
DMP Mutual Support Thread Member 416
Debt Mountain 20k :eek:

Comments

• dollparts
    dollparts Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you on the tenancy agreement? Have you gone BR yet?

Sorry to answer your question with a question but the answers will depend on what the facts are :)
    There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    my husband and I privately rent, we've been in this property for a few months now, we love the house and LL is great.Ive checked our tenancy agreement and can see nothing about Bankruptcy, however do I need to notify the LA or LL.it is just me going bankrupt. Do I have an obligation to inform LL?? My husband pays the rent out of his account.

You don;t have an obligation, as such, but on the BR form you will need to give details of where you live and the name and address of your LL. The OR will likely contact your LL directly following a BR application.

I advise people to discuss it with their LL, who is likely to be more understanding if they are made aware of the situation, rather than getting a brown envelope from the OR.

Are you up to date with your rent? If so, most landlords will be sympathetic - good tenants are sometimes hard to find, and LLs want to keep them :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • dollparts
    Options
    Agreed. Whatever the facts you will always be better of being upfront, that way there are no surprises for the LA/LL and you will be better off pre-empting an outcome rather than it 'happening' and then dealing with it after.

Like the previous poster said, if you are up to date with payments they will want to hold on to you. Better the devil you know and all that.... :)
    There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
  • dollparts wrote: »
    Are you on the tenancy agreement? Have you gone BR yet?

Sorry to answer your question with a question but the answers will depend on what the facts are :)

yes I am

and no I havent just yet
  • You don;t have an obligation, as such, but on the BR form you will need to give details of where you live and the name and address of your LL. The OR will likely contact your LL directly following a BR application.

I advise people to discuss it with their LL, who is likely to be more understanding if they are made aware of the situation, rather than getting a brown envelope from the OR.

Are you up to date with your rent? If so, most landlords will be sympathetic - good tenants are sometimes hard to find, and LLs want to keep them :)

hmm, problem being that the previous tenants went bankrupt and the LL evicted them. They also trashed the house before they went too which means he may well have a dim view of bankrupts.
  • dollparts
    Options
    yes I am

and no I havent just yet

Then yes, give them the heads up beforehand and once they are in the picture it will be one less thing to worry about.
  • Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In light of the previous tenant's behaviour, I would definitely have a chat with your LL. Explain that it won't affect your ability to pay the rent as it comes out of OH's account and he is still solvent. Make the point that you are very happy in the house and intend to continue to look after it too.

I took the decision to tell my LL purely on the basis that I didn't want him to hear from the OR. He was only concerned about whether it affected my ability to pay the rent and was fine about it. I've been here 5 years and he knows I look after the property for him.
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • Standuptotheman
    Options
    We had a similar situation and did not pay it much mind until a letter arrived on our doorstep from OR addressed to our landlord informing him of the BR and asking for tenancy details, the OR had mistakenly posted it to the wrong address. At that point we called the letting agent and asked them to write a letter to OR supplying the OR with the requested info which was: is it an assured tennacy agreement and how much is the rent etc? The letting agent did not really express much interest (maybe we were just lucky?), however we are very good tenants, always pay rent on time, not too much maintenance calls etc.

However, I do have a business relationship with a letting agent who tells me that usually they would inform the landlord immidiately upon learning of the BR but recommend to the LL that no action be taken if the tenants have proved to be reliable up to that point. Although lettings market is strong at present, good tenants are still hard to come by and will be looked after whenever possible!

I would suggest as Penelope Penguin does that probably best to be upfront with LL, tell him that rent will continue to be paid as usual and not let him find out directly from the OR who can be very blunt in their letters and sometimes not that helpful.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    hmm, problem being that the previous tenants went bankrupt and the LL evicted them. They also trashed the house before they went too which means he may well have a dim view of bankrupts.

You can't be evicted simply for being BR, unless your tenancy agreement has a clause not allowing undischarged bankrupts to continue to live there.

It may be that the previous tenants had rent arrears, or other reasons for being evicted.

What does your tenancy agreement have to say on undischarged bankrupts?
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Standup......

It would appear.....that if a tenant is given notice to quit following BR, then it is likely due to the presence of arrears of rent....since they will go into a BR.

I did not mention anything to either agent of LL....not obliged to, since the OR may/will contact either.....no point stirring things?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure