Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

Should Insurance Be Sexless - Martin's Blog & Site Vote - Page 13

New Post Advanced Search

Should Insurance Be Sexless - Martin's Blog & Site Vote

163 replies 16K views

Replies

• derglynderglyn Forumite
    5 posts
    Just to point out that I really can spell, but my typing isn`t great, and I neglected to proof read before hitting submit.
  • SueC_2SueC_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    derglyn wrote: »
    I do not consider it fair to base premiums on gender, particularly as the statistics are distorted by the number of claims submitted in the mans name (as policyholder) although it was the female partner driving at the time.

Top tip, albeit it a little too late... had all those people who have allegedly distorted the statistics by putting the policy in the man's name put them in the female name instead - they'd have got cheaper premiums.

Another one of life's golden missed opportunities!
  • suec wrote: »
    Or perhaps they 'risk assess' that the existence of a wife means that, at least some of the time while you are driving, there will be someone in the passenger seat crying "slow down", "be careful", "look where you're going" and alerting you to the numerous perils of which you would be otherwise unaware! ;)

Funnily enough she (my partner - not wife) nagged so much about things other than my driving, I would drive faster to get the journey over with whereupon I could go home to my place to get away from her :D .
  • DCoddDCodd Forumite
    8.2K posts
    suec wrote: »
    Top tip, albeit it a little too late... had all those people who have allegedly distorted the statistics by putting the policy in the man's name put them in the female name instead - they'd have got cheaper premiums.

Another one of life's golden missed opportunities!
    You will probably find that derglyn was refering to a 2 car family where the o/h is a named driver on their o/h's car.

I would dearly love to see the statistical information to see if the insurance companies believe that a Man is more likely to make a claim or a Man is more likely to be at fault in claims.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • Gorgeous_GeorgeGorgeous_George Forumite
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd expect the speling to be right.
    (I know)
    GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Car Insurance. I believe men make more claims primarily because men drive more miles. However, that is no excuse to charge men more because that is (and has been) sex discrimination. Insurers need to find a way to find out how many miles we all drive - perhaps an electronic gadget could be fitted to all cars for this purpose - and set charges based on mileage/risk. Maybe even driving habits could be recorded - a bit like a flight data recorder as fitted to some aircraft.

Life insurance. Not ALL men die early and not ALL women live longer. Basing life insurance costs on gender is discrimination.

I'd like to see people sue the insurers for their outrageous sexual discrimination in the past.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...However, going forward occupation will have a bigger impact on rating information - eg majority of primary school teachers are female and this means statistically they will be better drivers...

This could be considered indirect discrimination and the insurer guilty just the same.

GG
  • SueC_2SueC_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    DCodd wrote: »
    You will probably find that derglyn was refering to a 2 car family where the o/h is a named driver on their o/h's car.

I would dearly love to see the statistical information to see if the insurance companies believe that a Man is more likely to make a claim or a Man is more likely to be at fault in claims.

So, women have more accidents whilst driving their partner's car than they do when driving their own?
  • DCoddDCodd Forumite
    8.2K posts
    suec wrote: »
    So, women have more accidents whilst driving their partner's car than they do when driving their own?
    I have no idea and no way to independantly clarify and that is my point.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • tbournertbourner Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Insurers need to find a way to find out how many miles we all drive - perhaps an electronic gadget could be fitted to all cars for this purpose - and set charges based on mileage/risk. Maybe even driving habits could be recorded - a bit like a flight data recorder as fitted to some aircraft.

They have those already, some companies use them particularly for younger drivers to lower their premiums, you can set curfews and stuff as well. I think the general opinion is that they're too Big Brother like and people don't want to be monitored in that way.
    Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
    C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!