Ryanair cabin baggage question

Options
They state 'maximum' 55x40x20cm... but handily forget to mention whether these are the maximum dimensions of just the case itself or whether small external handles/wheels etc. would have to fit within them.

Anyone know? I wouldn't trust the thieving O'Leary as far as I could throw him and I want to avoid last minute penalties.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The box is 55 x 40 x 20cm and if it doesn't go in, that's it, you'll get charged!
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know? I wouldn't trust the thieving O'Leary as far as I could throw him and I want to avoid last minute penalties.

So why fly with them? If I did not trust someone, the last thing I would do is fly on one of their planes!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Charlton_King
    Options
    I trust his pilots and the framework of international flight operation regulations which ensure that he can't save yet more money by skimping on maintenance and crew, which he would undoubtedly do if he thought he could get away with it.
  • joolsybools
    Options
    I think it has to include everything, in reality I fly with a case that is a few mm out of those dimensions and have never had a problem
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I trust his pilots and the framework of international flight operation regulations which ensure that he can't save yet more money by skimping on maintenance and crew, which he would undoubtedly do if he thought he could get away with it.

My concern there would be that skimping on maintenance in particular is often only discovered when something goes wrong. If I felt as strongly as you did, I would not be willing to take the chance.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options

They have just invested 8 million pounds on a new maintenance hanger at Prestwick airport
    http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-officially-open-8m-pounds-prestwick-hangar

This investment is hardly the actions of a company skimping on safety.
    and with the newest fleet in the industry, your opinion of Ryanair's commitment to safety is ridiculous and completely unfounded

as dmg24 says, if you dislike him/them so much, why fly on his airline ?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    They state 'maximum' 55x40x20cm... but handily forget to mention whether these are the maximum dimensions of just the case itself or whether small external handles/wheels etc. would have to fit within them.

Maximum means just that, so obviously it includes wheels/handles etc.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .....I fly with a case that is a few mm out of those dimensions and have never had a problem

until they ask you to take the cardboard box test.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Safety is good business, so it would hardly be in Ryanair's interest to skimp on it.
    I'm not aware that Ryanair has ever had a single fatality or major incident due to technical issues.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if you dislike him/them so much, why fly on his airline ?

If there is a realistic choice i.e not twice the price or lots of stopovers I would avoid Ryanair because I think their business practices are shabby in the extreme. Sometimes, however, you have to swallow because the only alternative is worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure