PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Crap landlord; can i refuse to pay final month's rent?

Options
13»

Comments

• blt
    blt Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    harpyemma wrote: »
    Before what? Before i found out the deposits weren't in a DPS? That was a fortnight ago. Before the water pipe broke and we had to wait 24hrs on a weekday to get it seen to? Before the majority of the damage to the house occurred as a result? Last week. Before i signed the contract? I never did.

The CAB, i'm pretty sure, isn't time-sensitive. Taking legal action, however, is time-consuming--and before the majority of the LL's !!!!!!!! came to light, i was reluctant to kick up a fuss.

Just because the LL has behaved in a manner that you're not happy with doesn't mean you should lower your own standards of behaviour. Clearly you were annoyed before the incidences you refer to in this post as your first post mentions, for example, that you feel he is sexist.
  • sarahevie
    sarahevie Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the OP realises that she doesn't actually need the property, she has stated she only needs it for four nights from easter - so is just looking for someone to tell her its ok to withhold rent, move out early.

It happens a lot with student tenancies, after easter term uni effectively stops for assignments, study leave and yet rent is still paid usually until June 30th.

I don't think it is right to with hold rent under any circumstances, if she didn't need the property she shouldn't have signed up for it in the first place or should have inspected it to make sure it met her needs.

She'll get her deposit back as there's now DPS in place to deal with such issues.

When at uni, my sister withheld the last months rent as she didn't think she'd get her deposit back, nothing came from it - but I chastised her for it at the time, and still don't think it's the *right* *fair* thing to do.
    OPs so far £42,139
    Original end date Nov 2037 (53) Current end date June 2024 (40) Aiming for 5 years to be Mf
    DD1 Oct 2008:), DD2 Jul 2010:), DD3 Aug 2013:)
    When life is getting me down I try to remember to thank God for the blessings
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    1)Environmental health is a good route to go down because, aside from yourself it will put a stop to him renting out a property in that condition to anyone until he repairs it. Think about the stress its caused you would you want someone else to go through that?

2) You must be very careful if you are considering legal action for your deposit back and the 3x. If you want to get 'one up' on your horrible landlord your going to have to be sneaky. If your landlord finds out you are persuing him in court for not protecting the deposit the landlord could easily pay into a deposit protection scheme whilst you are still in the property.If this happened youd still get your deposit back but possibly not the 3x under a clause. When you have left this is when to consider legal action. The landlord cannot then pay into a scheme when the tenancy agreement has come to an end.

3)Read the landlord and tenant act and find out what the landlord is reponsible for keeping in a good state of repair. what he has failed to do so, you could possibly claim compensation under this basis.
    An environmental health report is a great starter point and will contain all the relevant risks, it is also a good document to provide as evidence

4)contact the main 3 deposit schemes; tenancy deposit scheme, mydeposits, deposit protection service and get them to write to confirm the deposit is not registered

This will start you off

Court is not quick and will take some time, if he is as bad as he sounds he may also try to drag it out by applying to vary or extend the order, but at the end of the day its worth the wait and youl get all your money back +interest, court costs and compensation
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • drc
    drc Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Options
    Phone SHELTER now. They will be able to give you lots of advice.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Freephone: 0808 800 4444
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family