How do I find out value of Isle Of Wight Glass vase?

Hello,

I have been given an Isle of Wight Glass vase to sell (my Dad sees that I sell a lot of stuff on facebook so gave me this to sell and said I could keep the money) and I was going to put it on for £4/£5 as vases don't go for much so was worried I was over valuing it but thought I should check before I put it on. Having looked online I have found some of them go for considerably more. I am not expecting this to be worth that much but if it is worth more than £4 then I would quite like to try to get more as we are really struggling at the moment. Does anyone know how I would go about finding out what vase this is and therefore how much it is worth?

Thanks
Taliwillow
Current Debt - [strike]£38000[/strike] [strike]£32000[/strike] [strike]£28500[/strike] [strike]£22000[/strike] [strike]£16000[/strike] [strike]£10000[/strike] [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] £14000:eek:

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2011 at 11:40PM
    you could try ebay - its worth registering, as then you can find out if similar items have been sold in the past and for how much! its also true that unusual items to ebay often either dont sell at all or reach amazing prices!
    popping along to your local antiques shop and asking how much they will give you for it? you dont have to take their valuation but it may clue you in that its more (or less)valuable than you thought, just make sure that the antiques shop is reputable. and if they offer you twenty quid dont be afraid to say you were thinking of £75! if they dont fall over laughing then stick to that or go elsewhere - but be prepared to haggle!
  • meritaten
    Ive just had a quick look on ebay for you - without seeing the vase its almost impossible to value! pieces are going for anything from £3.99 to over a £100! depends on whether it was made by a certain glass maker or its age and size - or tbh how attractive it is! have a look for yourself and decide on how much YOU think people on ebay would give for it.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes, try ebay, or make enquiries at a "proper" auction house.

Maybe I'm just being thick, but I didn't know you could sell items through Facebook...
  • meritaten
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Yes, try ebay, or make enquiries at a "proper" auction house.

Maybe I'm just being thick, but I didn't know you could sell items through Facebook...

I didnt know that either until this week! my daughter said she had sold some things through facebook - but higher value items she puts on ebay, as facebook is more like a car boot sale!
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think its a bit of how long is a piece of string question.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    as the abover poster really, i think any value of an item is how much someone likes it or it means to them.

i live on the island and the only place i can think of which makes glass is here.

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/

might be worth phoning them maybe seeing if they can give you more info on the procuct and seeing if it did come from there.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    How do you sell things on Facebook?
  • taliwillow
    taliwillow Posts: 415 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2011 at 10:28AM
    Thanks for your replies. I have looked on ebay and thats what threw me so much as I found 2 that look similar to the one I have and one is currently at £30 and the other is at £130!

I have sold so much stuff on facebook. In 3 weeks I made £550 by selling on there and it is free so for some things worth it. On the other hand I have just put a few things on ebay as there are some items that need people specifically looking for that item or brand who will pay what their worth whereas the facebook local group tend to want really cheap things (although baby items sell well and at least they don't have the delivery charge so I sold 2 cot beds on there for more than I could get on ebay). You can get lucky and find that someone locally does want your higher value stuff so as its free I put it on there first and if I get no interest then if it's worth it then I will put it on ebay.

geri1965 - Search on facebook for an 'items for sale in ..... (wherever you are) to see if there is already a group and if so join it, if there isn't one then maybe you could start your own group.
    Current Debt - [strike]£38000[/strike] [strike]£32000[/strike] [strike]£28500[/strike] [strike]£22000[/strike] [strike]£16000[/strike] [strike]£10000[/strike] [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] £14000:eek:
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    taliwillow wrote: »
    geri1965 - Searchon facebook foe an 'items for sale in ..... (wherever you are) to see if there is already a group and if so join it, if there isn't one then maybe you could start your own group.

Aw, someone is selling their cat :(
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I might look into this FB selling business - ebay and paypal fees have increased so much that there's little point selling lower value stuff like CDs, games etc.

And to the OP - why not ebay the vase and start it off at £20, with a buy-it-now price of, say £80, then see what happens...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure