DLA Hip Replacement

Options
12 months ago, at 44 yrs of age, my husband was made redundant and although a Retained Firefighter was optimistic about starting his own business as an IT Technician. A couple of months later he was diagnosed with moderate-severe arthritis in both hips. Although, this was a major problem, because of his position the worst jobs were avoidable and he's managed to get by. Its now come to the point, due to the pain and the safety of his colleagues thats now impossible and he's about to go sick. Money is tight and the business start up is on hold as he struggles to get into the car and even drive it. Just about everything he does is extremely painfull and limits his quality of life. We do get by on our incomes but it has limitations and paying for public transport is expensive. Can my husband claim DLA whilst waiting for his hip replacement ops. The consultant has advised him to wait as long as possible due to his young age.
:jWeight loss slimming world Starting weight 12st 2lbs. Target 10 st -4 -1 sts -1/2 -2 1/2

Comments

• harry7075
    Options
    He can apply as the condition is having an adverse effect on his quality of life.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    to claim DLA you need to have the mobility/care problems for at least 3 months and expect them to last at least another 6 month.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    harry7075 wrote: »
    He can apply as the condition is having an adverse effect on his quality of life.

That is irrelevant to claiming DLA.
  • pompeyfaith
    Options
    Yes he can apply and the decision whether he gets it is the DWP DM only and no one else, He is likely to be worse now than after hip replacement operations so yes claim.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had one hip-replacement and an ill-health early retirement from the Ambulance Service because of it.. it sounds like you husband is already at the stage that I was when I had to have my hip-op , there is only so much disability and pain one can take the turning point for me was not being able to sleep at night because of the pain.... O/A is a !!!!!!.. I'd apply and see what happens...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • lotties_mum
    lotties_mum Posts: 176 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2011 at 10:39PM
    Options
    He's been diagnosed for about 8/9 months with moderate/severe arthritis (does that count??) and he will certainly be in this position for a lot longer than 6 months as he'll have to have the 2nd hip op
    :jWeight loss slimming world Starting weight 12st 2lbs. Target 10 st -4 -1 sts -1/2 -2 1/2
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    He's been diagnosed for about 8/9 months with moderate/severe arthritis (does that count??) and he will certainly be in this position for a lot longer than 6 months as he'll have to have the 2nd hip op

What counts for DLA are his care and mobility needs.

He may find, as my mother did, that having the first one done can make an enormous amount of difference, even when waiting to have the second one replaced.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Well it will depend on how it affects his life some people with severe O/A actually don't get that many symptoms/pain and others get severe disability with moderate O/A it will be how it impacts on his life . I was pain free in that hip as soon as I had recovered from the surgery which was 5yrs ago my other hip has deteriorated at a much slower rate since I am no longer doing any heavy lifting.. if he will be mainly office based soon then he will certainly be able to cope much better without the heavy work involved in his present job
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure