if hubby & I separate will dd get grant?

Options
I have been waiting until my daughter goes to university before I separate from my husband. No-one knows this yet as I don't want anything to effect her taking her exams.

My income alone would mean DD would be entitled to some of the student grant and could also then apply for scholarships etc. But if it goes on our joint income she won't be entitled to anything other than the loans and I will then not be in a position to be able to afford to give her financial help.

Has anyone been in this position and can offer me any advice please

Thanks

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can change circumstances during the year, so if you divorced after she went, she could then change and get re-assessed.

If she is going to university in September she should be preparing to apply for student finance March 13th (or around this date).
  • Fang_3
    Fang_3 Posts: 7,602 Forumite
    Options
    She may find the news of her parent's divorce harder to deal with when she's alone in another part of the country. If you're sure it's the righ decision it may be wise to tell her during the summer whilst she's surrounded by potential support.
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    Mumsy3 wrote: »
    I have been waiting until my daughter goes to university before I separate from my husband. No-one knows this yet as I don't want anything to effect her taking her exams.

My income alone would mean DD would be entitled to some of the student grant and could also then apply for scholarships etc. But if it goes on our joint income she won't be entitled to anything other than the loans and I will then not be in a position to be able to afford to give her financial help.

Has anyone been in this position and can offer me any advice please

Thanks
    Fang wrote: »
    She may find the news of her parent's divorce harder to deal with when she's alone in another part of the country. If you're sure it's the righ decision it may be wise to tell her during the summer whilst she's surrounded by potential support.

I really cannot advise about the grant situation: I'm sure that others will have better advice to offer than me. However I think that Fang has brought up the really essential part of this. Yes, it is probably a good idea to wait until she has finished her exams, but I think you do then need to tell her before she goes away.

Good luck with it all:)
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport