»

E.surv - surveyor missed something, what can I do?

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

E.surv - surveyor missed something, what can I do?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
4 replies 7.8K views
n_griffithsn_griffiths
16 posts
Forumite
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Iwish I'd searched this forum before agreeing to allow e.surv to do the building survey on my house!

Basically, my partner and I bought a house in August. We had a full structural survey done by e.surv who picked up nothing major (some notes about small cracks which will need making good prior to decoration etc)

In October we realised it was very cold. Basically none of the windows were fitted properly (due to the window itself bowing and no longer fitting the frame), however, no mention whatsoever of this in the report.

Also, the patio door wouldn't lock. Once opened it opened and closed fine, however, it had dropped to the level that in order to lock one person needed to stand outside and lift it whilst the other locked. Again, no mention whatsoever in the survey.

Basically, we were lumbered with repair works to the windows which cost £300 and we've been told that whilst this will help, to get "correct" we will need new windows throughout the house.

Neither of these issues were mentioned at all in report. Do I have a leg to stand on if I go to them and query? In December the house was about 1 degree with heating on full 24 hours a day! In affect, their report meant the house was insecure (door won't lock) and uninhabitable during the winter months.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Replies

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms