PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How Clean Is You House ... What Was It?

Options
Hello there

Was wondering if anybody watched How Clean Is Your House? this week.

They had a really good tip for cleaning out the washing machine, a cupful of *something* in an empty machine run on the longest and hottest wash.
Then a pint of white vinegar again on the longest and hottest wash to clear the pipes.

Apparently if you don't often use the machine on hot washes then the smell can be stale and it's bacteria! I have noticed this smell and want to clean it out. I wash most clothes at 40 degrees.

Problem is ... what was the cup of *something* they used first? A white powder .... hubby was talking over it and I missed it :-(

Anybody know?

Sam.
Pay full price? Not since 2002 my dear. :j

Comments

• reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wasnt it just biological washing powder just without any clothes in the machine

im sure it was
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Probably bicarb I have recorded it LOL sad I know I will watch it when OH isn't around as he hates it! If you don't get the answer I will let you know.

I wipe round the inside of the seal when I have finished the last load or that orange mould that grows in showers appears and it gets smelly.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    lots of smelly washing machine advice in this previous thread on the subject HERE :)
  • bizzylizzy
    Options
    I know this!!
    It was 1 cupful of soda crystals on hottest wash and 1 cupful w vinegar on hottest wash.
    I did this today!

Edit; I know they used 1 pt vinegar but I use vinegar as a fabric softener so thought I didn't need to use so much.
  • carrieparkinson
    Options
    i dont do vinegar
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • MissScarlett_3
    Options
    bizzylizzy wrote:
    I know this!!
    It was 1 cupful of soda crystals on hottest wash and 1 cupful w vinegar on hottest wash.
    I did this today!

Edit; I know they used 1 pt vinegar but I use vinegar as a fabric softener so thought I didn't need to use so much.

Yep definitely soda crystals! Mind you I dont think I could run my machine twice at 95 degrees with nothing in it:eek:
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use Morrisons vinegar (cheapest I have found) and use about half a bottle in the washing machine and the other half in the dishwasher about once a month to get them cleaned out. I only use the quick washes though. Seems to work fine.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• laughing_cow
    Options
    sam_i_am wrote:
    They had a really good tip for cleaning out the washing machine, a cupful of *something* in an empty machine run on the longest and hottest wash...............................................
    Problem is ... what was the cup of *something* they used first? A white powder .... hubby was talking over it and I missed it :-(

That's so funny :rotfl: I watched this the other night and also didn't hear the *something*! I've got Sky Plus so I rewound it twice and still couldn't work out what she was saying so I gave up. I'm not sure whether it was bad sound or that her accent was particularly strong when she said it. I think it might be soda crystals as others have mentioned as her mumbling was about 4 syllables :D
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Definately Soda crystals!!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    OH is looking at the https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk forum and they are saying that vinegar rather corrosive and lemon juice [Jif] is much better
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure