Amstrad em@ler plus phone

Options
HI everyone, another new entrant to the forum. I need a phone to use at home. Not having a pc, I thought the Amstrad emailer plus was a great choice, with all the features it is said to have. However, to my disappointment I read that a compulsory e-mail call will be made every 24 hours, which upon calling the office to confirm this, could be up to 19p per call (a minimum of 5 quid per month extra). Is this a nice way of making me buy an expensive product as a hire purchase with a deposit of £29 and £5 monthly payment spread for as long as I use the phone? Check https://www.amstrad.com

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the cheaper Amstrad E-Mailer phone does not do this!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have one of these as a secondary phone (only because I won the daft thing) and to my knowledge it has never done this.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • mama
    mama Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I think the cheaper Amstrad E-Mailer phone does not do this!
    It seems that model has been withdrawn. There seems to be no store stocking that. Any clues?
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MAMA: Sorry, I have no further info on the Amstrad E-Mailer.

I once bought my mum a 'keyboard' (NOT Amstrad) which could send e-mails. This connected wirlessly to a TV. This enabled you to write notes for yourself as well. You could also attach a printer. That did not call an e-mail service everyday - only when you wanted to. My mum did not use the e-mail service.

Another possibility for you is the Orchid dialler (mentioned by Martin on its own stick thread). I assume these can be programmed to bar access to certain numbers. Hopefully there would be a manual override to this - or you could effectively override it, I suppose, by using One-Tel when you actually wanted to access your E-Mails (if that is what you want to use it for)

I think you have hit on why the e-mailer is so cheap!
  • mama
    mama Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    The website describes the e-mailer as "the previous e-mailer". This link leads directly to the page i am complaining about, and it's so hidden at the very bottom of several features of the left side panel: http://www.amstrad.com/emp_future.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure