rented accommodation- who pays

Options
Basically long story short...

My boyfriend and I have lived in shared accommodation for 7 months now, we're moving out next week due to many issues with housemates.

Our names will still be on the tennancy agreement until we find replacements. We understand this and are happy to pay the rent until then.

However, one of the girls in the house is insisting we still pay towards the bills. My boyfriend has kindly called up n power and explained the situation, gave them meter readings and had the bill halved for them (so theyre not paying any more than normal) all they ahve to do is give them more meter readings next month to show what they are using without us there. The bloke at n power said that as long as in some way they get their money anyone can pay.

Housemates mother has now got involved and is kicking off as we have taken our names off the bills in preparation for leaving. We are paying the last months bill this week and then we do not intend to pay any more.

Our rental company agreed with us that the bills have been halved and they will have our keys = we will not be in the property again.

What Im getting at is, legally can we be forced into paying even though we are not there and our names are no longer on the bills?

(same question applies to water and tv license really too )

Thanks

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Will your rental company give you a letter to say you ended your tenancy from XX ? If so then just send that in after the fact and take it from there but if you don't have anything in writing you could find they want you to pay to the end of the tenancy agreement.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • emma1991
    Options
    We have forms to fill in dating when we are moving out btu I could ask for a letter from them. I could even send N power a copy of our new tennancy..
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Both sides have a point. You are choosing to break the agreement early (that you have good reason is irrelevant) and those remaining will have higher costs until replacements are resident. As a matter of courtesy you should still contribute to the bills (not a full equal amount, of course, but a smaller offer.)

Legally, however, you have no obligation whatsoever (other than with the rent.)
  • emma1991
    Options
    The way we see it is that once we have left they are only paying for what they are using. By N power halving the bills they are still paying the same each month as what we are all paying now, they are not losing out... I could understand if the bills were still the same amount and them having to pay double each month.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emma1991 wrote: »
    The way we see it is that once we have left they are only paying for what they are using. By N power halving the bills they are still paying the same each month as what we are all paying now, they are not losing out... I could understand if the bills were still the same amount and them having to pay double each month.

That instalments are being lowered is neither here nor there. The base background costs are still there. Fridge/freezer, heating the common areas, landline, internet, council tax, tv licence, tier 1 component of fuel bills, etc all cost the same but with fewer people paying for them. They moved to a shared flat expecting to share bills.

Of course if those left behind drove you away then tell them where to go and tell the mother to concentrate on improving her own child's behaviour.
  • emma1991
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Of course if those left behind drove you away then tell them where to go and tell the mother to concentrate on improving her own child's behaviour.

Haha very true. She is the one who runs the bills up so high anyway. She left the telly on in her room over christmas, her door was locked so we couldnt switch it off! The lights are constantly on and for some reason the fridge door is never closed...

Thanks for all your answers. I think im going to wait and see if they chase us up as we no longer have names on the bills etc. and if they do send them copies of our 'leaving form' and new tennancy. If we have to pay we have to. Fingers crossed though we wont, 2 lots of rent and 2 lots of bills will really cripple us :(
  • SocrateS_2
    Options
    emma1991 wrote: »
    Haha very true. She is the one who runs the bills up so high anyway. She left the telly on in her room over christmas, her door was locked so we couldnt switch it off! The lights are constantly on and for some reason the fridge door is never closed...

Thanks for all your answers. I think im going to wait and see if they chase us up as we no longer have names on the bills etc. and if they do send them copies of our 'leaving form' and new tennancy. If we have to pay we have to. Fingers crossed though we wont, 2 lots of rent and 2 lots of bills will really cripple us :(

Fwiw I have a friend in a similar position to yourself, though the opposite way around in that they are staying GF\BF whilst my mate is moving out. They insist that he should pay all bills whilst he's there, but seeing as they cannot afford to live in the property and meet all the bills AFTER he leaves, they say that he has a 'moral responsibility to pay for them'! :rotfl: The things people will try.

AIUI he was advised to write to them and provide them with an official letter advising when their 'agreements' would come to an end, date it for a period of 28 days and that's all you have to do - send it recorded Delivery so your housemate has to give her signature. So if she argues she didn't receive the letter you can goto Royal Mail and prove she signed for it. Remember to collect your proof as they delete them after a period of time.

When you both do actually move out, simply pay your parts of the bills then provide a brief statement to that effect to your previous housemate. You're not obliged too, but it just provides everyone with the required information to conclude your agreement. Again you don't have too, but at least it concludes everything and you all know where you stand. As for the Mother, well now as my mate has suggested when their Mother got involved. If she's so determined that they should live apart, she now knows the dates when she can pick up the payments.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport