Help! Debt collectors (DRS) intimidating my family

Options
G3orge
G3orge Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 20 November 2012 at 9:17PM in Debt-free wannabe
Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

DRS Legal Services Ltd has asked to comment on this thread. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the forum.

We note that we are regularly being contacted by debtors who have been chased by email/text (sms) or occasionally by letter.
They are looking up DRS on Google and getting us in mistake.
We do not send out text messages and we do not use number references and/or DOP reference numbers.
However the following may assist anyone who is seeking the correct companies
details:-

Please be advised that the company which uses DOP references are: - Opos Ltd, 1st Floor, Ingram House, 227 Ingram Street, Glasgow, G1 1DA Their phone number is 0844 372 2459 They do not make it clear in their paperwork and we have duly complained to them.

The company that use numbers only in their references is:- Creditmanagementpays.co.uk also known as Ardent Credit Services Ltd.
Ardent Credit Services Ltd (formerly Commercial Credit Management Ltd) Moorgate Point | Moorgate Road | Liverpool | L33 7XW Telephone Office: 0151 545 1500
Fax: 0151 546 1400
Again we have complained to them also.

We do not use either number references or mixed references.
We hope you are successful in getting through to the correct people.

Mrs. Clarke
DRS Legal Services Ltd.

I have a debt with Vodafone, around £400, which has been passed on to a collection agency called DRS. There is one girl there (Laura) who always calls me from the company. She says a lot of things like she has a tracer on me, or people are coming to my house or whatever. I don't scare so easily so it doesn't bother me but my problem is that recently she has started calling my mum too.

Usually the day before she calls me she will call my mum (who has nothing to do with this and doesn't owe them anything). She pretends to be some concerned friend or something and tells her things like "your son has got himself into a lot of trouble" and "bad people are looking for him".

My mum does scares really easily, she is really worried about me and she has been crying a lot because of some stupid mess she shouldn't even be involved in.,

How can I stop this btich calling my family and making out like i owe money to the mob??! (other than paying the debt, which I can't at the moment, thanks,.)

Comments

• churchrat
    churchrat Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    You can send them the "only contact me in writing letter" I am sure that there is a template on here somewhere. always send it reg post, as they WILL deny having recieved it. What this company is doing is unacceptable. I would probably say, whenever she phones, "one moment please, while I put you onto record" and then, even if you dont record it, just push a few buttons so that it sounds like you have done. They will not say anything if they think they are being recorded, and show your mum how to do this as well.

You could also ask them for copies/transcripst of the conversation. If they have them they must supply them, for a price. I am sure that someone on here will know how to apply. Apart from being intimidating, they are breaking all sorts of confidentiality laws, the problem being proving it.

In the meantime, get thier number barred, or if it is really hurting your mum, get the number changed.
    LBM-2003ish
    Owed £61k and £60ish mortgage
    2010 owe £00.00 and £20K mortgage:D
    2011 £9000 mortgage
  • sickasachip13
    Options
    I have no expert advice but surely what this company are doing would constitute harrassment under the 1986 Public Order Act - whereby a person can be prosecuted if they are undertaking behaviour 'likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress'.
    I'd be tempted to tell her that you're going to the police.
  • hippyadam
    Options
    Complain loudly and in writing to The OFT!!!

Calling an unconnected 3rd party is not only immoral it's illegal and a breach of the OFT guidance on recovery.

Can you prove that it is this Laura who calls? Ie does she leave a contact number or anything?

LINKY TO THE OFT SITE
  • sickasachip13
    sickasachip13 Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2011 at 4:18PM
    Options
    Actually that law may not still be in use. But, what you are experiencing is definitely harassment and cannot be allowed to continue.

I've just done a quick google and someone last year prosecuted British Gas under the Protection of Harassment laws and won. And this article looks useful with a series of steps and relevant laws:

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/spending/debtwizard/article/2010/06/11/how-to-keep-debt-collectors-bay
  • saltnvinegar
    Options
    Hi George

This breaches so many OFT guidelines, not to mention the Protection from Harrassment Act 1997, and a few others!

You first need to gather evidence that it IS DRS making the calls to your mother. Is there any way that you can get her to record the phone conversations? You should also record the conversations they are making to you too.

Once you can then prove that it is this same 'Laura' who is calling your mum, not to mention the things she is saying to you, you can hang this lot out to dry and sue them for a lot more money than they are pursuing you for.

Best

SnV
    LBM & Debt July 2010 [STRIKE]£19,000[/STRIKE] now - £11,619.60 Long Haul Supporter #247

Remember Income > Expenditure = MSE Heaven :A and Income < Expenditure MSE Hell :(

Current STB (sticking to budget) Counter - day 109 (Personal Best - 109 days!)
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 February 2011 at 6:18PM
    Options
    Follow all the above advice about the OFT, but sit down with your mum and explain to her that it is just one debt, nothing bad will happen, and this is just a nasty b*tch who is trying to get you to pay up faster than you can afford.

Let her know that the next time this woman calls, your mum should politely inform her that by even calling her, she is breaking the law and will be reported for inappropriate use of private information, attempting to obtain financial advantage by deception, harassment and threatening behaviour under the Data Protection Act 1974, Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2006 and the Public Order Act 2006. Then ask her very sweetly to spell her surname for the reports.

Or your mum could just tell her to stick her threats up her a*se and hang up. Either way, it'll stop. The woman keeps doing it because she feels that she can bully you both - let her know she can't and it'll ease off a bit, at least it'll buy you time until the OFT and the letter refusing telephone contact land on them.

Good luck
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    is it a troll, things seems out of this world. One post....
  • G3orge
    Options
    PNPSUKNET wrote: »
    is it a troll, things seems out of this world. One post....

I have an account I'd rather not have linked with this issue. Debt does funny things like that.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I don't understand the last 2 posts. Anyway...

the starting point for harassment issues is to read this factsheet:

Factsheet | Harassment
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi - why not get your mum a cheap caller display phone so she only answers if she knows the number 9friends etc) - then you could tape your calls and use as evidence. I feel for your poor mum.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure