PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It definatly does sound worth it. Another gadget to squeeze in my tiny, shoebox kitchen :D
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon, everyone. Just popping on to add that I've had another NSD (getting good now) and that I'm going to be busy tonight writing my shopping list with strong intent of sticking to it! I know I need bread tomorrow, so I'm thinking I might do the big shop tomorrow too and top up any other bits & pieces we might need as and when. Hopefully there won't be that many! I'm trying to get myself off tinned pop and am going to have another look through the fabulous recipe threads (thanks, Rosieben) to try and get more inspiration for the weekly mealplan.

Pork fajitas tonight for tea, so will go prepare it as soon as DH gets back from work. Been busy today in the garden (I'm wondering if I can't grow some veggies this year). Have a nice evening, everyone.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks. Noticed a few of you are mentioning slicing your own ham. What exactly do you buy? (I truly have no idea!!)
    Apologies for my ignorance.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    I haven't done this yet but it is one of the things I am looking at to help save money and bring the bills down. I am guessing you can slice things like gammon joints or ham hocks.

I am sure that someone will be along to tell us what they do
    BSCno.87
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Mr T was doing 1/2 price gammon joint last week. I've got enough sliced ham out of it for over a weeks worth of sandwiches for about 1/2 the price of sliced ham. Maybe not quite as cheap as the waterlogged wafer thin stuff you can get, but definitely better tasting. DH gets huffy when I try to feed him the WT stuff as I normally buy it for the dog!
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    Thanks Cat. That is what I am aiming to do for the broods lunch box's. As you say not as cheap as the water logged stuff but probably better for them and I guess I won't have to use as much to get the taste where as they tend to have 2 or three slices at the moment.
    BSCno.87
  • cat_smith
    Options
    tigerfeet absolutely healthier. The slicer has been a godsend - no waste of leftover roasts or thick cut home made bread. Also makes cheese sandwiches much more economical. At the moment my freezer is fairly full so I'm not experimenting too much, but when I have space I will be trying out halving pork chops etc to kid DH that he's had 2 !
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Ah! I generally dislike gammon when I've tried it at carveries. Never thought of using it as sliced cooked meat for lunches!! Will ask on freecycle for carving knife now otherwise it wouldn't be too OS! My hand carved things don't stretch too far as I dint have an electric carving knife. Thanks so much for the tips everyone. I am so much more focused on saving than I would otherwise be!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    cat_smith wrote: »
    tigerfeet absolutely healthier. The slicer has been a godsend - no waste of leftover roasts or thick cut home made bread. Also makes cheese sandwiches much more economical. At the moment my freezer is fairly full so I'm not experimenting too much, but when I have space I will be trying out halving pork chops etc to kid DH that he's had 2 !

Ooooh! that is a cunning plan :D I like that idea. I was leaving DH to help himself from the pan etc. when he came home but I am finding he is taking so much I am not having anything for the freezer. So I have started plating it up and putting the left overs in the freezer before he gets home. So he has to eat my portioning and not his :)
    BSCno.87
  • cat_smith
    Options
    tiger managed to get 7 portions out of a 4 portion pasta weight with my tuna mess last night. Put it into multiple not very deep dishes rather than my normal deep lasagne dish. Amazing how the presentation changes your perception. Thick or thin slices of ham/left over roast don't actually seem to affect the 'suitably full' feeling. It seems to be the number of slices that matter. Next time I do a roast I'm actually going to use the slicer rather than a carving knife (although the cleaning up will be a pain!) But will be interesting to see if the same holds true for dinner as well as lunches:D
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport