Options

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    actionman wrote: »
    Because its ethical-that's why.
    Actionman, my 'Why?' question related to the why go down the investment route as you state as the end of the sentence... 'I have time to cancel'. If you are that unsure from the outset then no amount of commentary on a bulleting board will be able to confirm you have, or have not, made the right decision (for you).

If you are ok with your CTF amount being less than the amount paid in then you should consider an investment based CTF, if you are not then go savings/BS route.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • actionman_3
    actionman_3 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for reply.

I think its a risk for anyone. I just have never done anything like this in my life.

I just wondered what people's views were and if they knew anything about investments. Is it a silly time to put money in an investment with the credit crunch?
    If you find something irritating in my post or that you disagree with,then please don't jump on me ,just please ignore my post.I have come to the site for useful information and not to argue. thanks.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    thanks for reply.

I think its a risk for anyone. I just have never done anything like this in my life.
    actionman, its impossible to foretell the future, otherwise we would all be millionaires.
    I just wondered what people's views were and if they knew anything about investments. Is it a silly time to put money in an investment with the credit crunch?
    Timing an investment is (virtually) impossible. Regarding if it is good to invest during a credit crunch, the simple answer from me would be:
    1. Possibly, yes
    2. Your investment timeframe is imporatnt
    3. Its still going to be volatile
    4. We've recently (last few months or so) experienced a strong rally which may not last
    5. Lots of commenators think the indexes may set new lows before turning the corner
    Other than mentioning these things I cannot really give you the answers you are looking for.

The only thing I can state categorically is that my childs CTF monies are in a (self invested) Stocks & Shares CTF and at the moment it is pretty much in cash waiting to be invested again.

cloud_dog

• actionman_3
    Options
    What do you mean volatile please?

1. We've recently (last few months or so) experienced a strong rally which may not last
    2. Lots of commenators think the indexes may set new lows before turning the corner
    sorry what is a strong rally and what are indexes.

I am really ignorant. I only chose the ethical one,as I didnt want my money going into arms,cigarettes etc. I dont expect the return will be as good as other ones.

I did some research and its up there with major ones.
    If you find something irritating in my post or that you disagree with,then please don't jump on me ,just please ignore my post.I have come to the site for useful information and not to argue. thanks.
  • cloud_dog
    edited 26 May 2009 at 1:43PM
    Options
    What do you mean volatile please?
    Lots of up's and down's but, more importantly the up's or down's could be a big move up or down.
    sorry what is a strong rally and what are indexes.

I am really ignorant. I only chose the ethical one,as I didnt want my money going into arms,cigarettes etc. I dont expect the return will be as good as other ones.

In investment terms a rally is an increase; a strong rally means a lot of shares / investments have experienced a significant increase recently. If you look at a chart of the FTSE100 (top 100 UK companies by value) you can see that it has risen by over 25% in 3 months (since the beginning of March); that is a big increase in under 3 months. Thats not to say that it cannot contue to increase but risk wise I think at the moment there is more downside risk than upside risk, i.e. I think the FTSE100 could go much lower before it might go higher.

Chart: http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?display=chart&code=cotn:UKX.L&it=li

Regarding indexes, these are just the way investments are 'categorised', i.e. FTSE100, FTSE250 (next bigest 250 UK companies), DJIA (Dow Jones Industrial Average - US stocks).

If your timeframe is sufficiently big, i.e 10+ years then timing your investment, or waiting for a better time to invest your money, may not be really that important as (hopefully) given another 10+ years your investment will increase in value.

You still need to be prepared for possibly more downside, i.e. investments falling in value, before the world potentially turns the corner and economies of the world start growing again. This is why you need to accept the possibility that your investment, going forward, will fluctuate and the value at some points is likely to be worth less than the original amount.
    I did some research and its up there with major ones.
    I don't doubt that the fund itself may be a good performer, compared with its peers, my only point is that you need to comfortable with putting the money into an investment (with the risks that go with it) rahter than a CTF savings account. As mentioed before I am going down the investment route.

Hope that helps.

cloud_dog

• actionman_3
    Options
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    Anyone else running their CTF(s) via SelfTrade, and in light of them introducing a £40+ AMC on the account what action are you taking?

* Are you leaving it there?
    * Identified another (reasonably priced) S&S provider
    * Moving it in to a stakeholder S&S CTF account

Thoughts / views very welcome...

cloud_dog

• actionman_3
    Options
    I havent got a clue what you mean.What is self trade and £40 amc please.

I havent really got any idea what im doing. Ive got up to JUne 10th to cancel but have no idea of an alternative
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    I havent got a clue what you mean.What is self trade and £40 amc please.

I havent really got any idea what im doing. Ive got up to JUne 10th to cancel but have no idea of an alternative
    Actionman, my post above was not aimed at yourself.

SelfTrade are an online dealing firm where my childs CTF happens to be. It is a self select CTF, i.e. I choose what / where I want to invest.

Apart from dealing charges (everytime I bought / sold) there were no other charges. AMC = Annual Management Charges; these are charges levied on investments/accounts by their providers. Usually they are taken directly from the underlying investment, i.e. the fund value, but in a self invested account they are introducing an AMC.

Regarding your situation... If you are comfortable taking an invesment approach then long term I would expect it to pay off.

cloud_dog

• donal_f
    donal_f Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Selftrade non-Stakeholder Shares CTF. I picked them 2 1/2 years ago after my son was born, and have been happy with the service.

However, I received a letter this week saying they're going to introduce an annual charge of £37.50.

Can anyone recommend any cheaper alternatives? I've looked at Martin's recomendations for a Shares CTF, but both only allow investments in funds. I want a Shares CTF that allows me to buy specific individual shares?

Thanks in advance for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport