MSE News: PPI leap hits Lloyds Banking Group complaints

edited 23 February 2011 at 1:59PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
6 replies 1.6K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 23 February 2011 at 1:59PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The bank revealed a large spike in complaints, driven by a surge in gripes about miss-old debt insurance ..."

Replies

• danthemoneysavingmandanthemoneysavingman Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    miss-old? hmmmm
    Let me Google that for you...
  • hmm still not good enough
  • Only the most determined people will take a complaint beyond the initial phone call made in order to 'express dissatisfaction' which is enough to trigger a complaint according to FSA rules but of course the bank has its own 'rules' where you have to make it an 'official complaint' and 'you do have an account with us'....

How do the banks get away with the proverbial murder year in year out?
  • needs to be better ;)
  • edited 24 February 2011 at 8:32AM
    opinions4uopinions4u
    19.4K posts
    edited 24 February 2011 at 8:32AM
    Only the most determined people will take a complaint beyond the initial phone call made in order to 'express dissatisfaction' which is enough to trigger a complaint according to FSA rules but of course the bank has its own 'rules' where you have to make it an 'official complaint' and 'you do have an account with us'....
    The banks do tell their staff that an "expression of dissatisfaction" should be recorded as a complaint.

So, it's 12.30pm. The branch is heaving with customers. Flossy rang in sick that morning because the doctor's signed her off with stress, so they're a cashier down.

There are only 3 cashiers serving instead of the usual 4. The manager's manning the reception desk.

Queues are building up at both the counter and the reception desk. Mr Khan at the front of the reception queue is complaining about his bank charges. The manager makes a snap decision to reimburse, even though it's Mr Khan's own fault for not managing his account. But the refund gets him out of the queue and allows the next customer to be seen.

Meanwhile at the counter a customer points out that the ATM outside has broken down. Because of this the queue is getting longer. But it needs two people to fix the machine. The counter manager takes off a cashier and they both head to the cash machine. It takes them 5 minutes to fix it, but they do the job and it will take the pressure off once the current (now longer queue) is clear.

During the period of only 2 cashiers being on half a dozen customers have a go at the manager, who's dealing with his own queue at reception, about the slow moving counter queue that's getting ever longer. Another customer in the reception queue tells the manager it's not good enough that other customers keep interupting his conversation. The manager apologises.

The customer at the front of the counter queue eventually gets served by Janine. She's been working there for just over a month. The customer says "I took out this loan over the phone last year and my Dad's told me I've been mis-sold the insurance - how do I complain?". The cashier talks to the counter supervisor who, even though the complaints procedure says the branch should handle it, suggests that the new cashier tells the customer to ring up directly with the complaint as it will get her problem dealt with sooner.

Now, if you were a customer in this situation, where there is absolutely naff all that the staff could do to improve the situation, would you want to see the branch staff stopping everything to formally record every "expression of dissatisfaction"? Or would you rather they did everything possible to get through the customers in front of them?

So come on, should they be documenting the 10 different complaints that were made in the scenario I outlined, or should they be doing everything within their power to shift the queues and resolve the problems?

Your call.

(I suspect any bank branch employees will be able to relate very easily to the situation I describe above - for me recording genuine complaints about queueing is pretty pointless if it stops you dealing with the queue that's causing the problem. And while I would have sympathy with the customer told to ring the complaints helpline about the PPI, it will get the complaint handled faster than making it through the branch who will still have to collect details and forward them on anyway).

Out of interest, do M&S publish complaints data about the quality of trousers? Does the cinema regulator publish details of popcorn overcharging down at the local Odeon? Do expressions of disstatisfaction about the form of West Ham Utd get logged somewhere?

Just wondering ....
  • Alpine_StarAlpine_Star Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    opinions4u wrote: »
    So come on, should they be documenting the 10 different complaints that were made in the scenario I outlined....?
    I agree as the FSA's definition of a complaint being 'any expression of dissatisfaction' is dependent on the cause of complaint being capable of resulting in financial loss, material distress or material inconvenience. I doubt if the ATM or queuing scenarios would realistically fit the bill and as such the bank shouldn't waste their own and their customers' time in documenting them.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support