Upgrade Flights

Options

Comments

• cougar_3
    cougar_3 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4665194.stm

Looks like we missed some ways of (not) getting an upgrade!
  • soccergoods
    Options
    Are you tall and need more leg room then this is the way to do it. When checking in ask if the flight is fully booked if the answer is yes then the following won't work if the answer is No then ask the nice person behind the counter if he or she would be so kind to block the seat next too you so this will mean you have two seats to sit on and have enough space to put you legs on. The other thing I do is when you board the flight wait till the last moment before showing your boarding pass then ask the staff where there are trhee or four seats free. Board the plane walk direct too these seats put your bags on the spare seats and ones the flight has taken off lay down there you go enough space for your legs again. Works everytime have never had problems with leg room. The only time I have problems with leg room if is when I use the business class seats on KLM as they are not really made for 6f4 people. If flying business class with any airline ask for a empty container that they can put in front of you this way you can put your legs flat out rather then down in an angle.
    Hope all this helps.
    Thanks,
    Soccergoods
  • cougar_3
    Options
    Are you sure it's a good idea to walk up to a business class seat with an economy ticket - this is what you're suggesting isn't it?
  • WiseInvestor_2
    Options
    put your bags on the spare seats and ones the flight has taken off lay down
    I'm surprised you've been allowed to leave your bags on empty seats as loose articles need to be stowed securely for take-off and landing
  • soccergoods
    Options
    Bags on seats are aloud as you are aloud to use the seatbelts for the bags. I never suggested you walk to a busness class seat with a Economy ticket as you will find that even by getting 4 seats in business class you still can't use them to lay down on. This is when you have a Eco ticket and walk too the 4 seats that are empty in Eco class.
  • WiseInvestor_2
    Options
    Bags on seats are aloud as you are aloud to use the seatbelts for the bags
    Is this true? How likely is a lapstap to restrain a bag in a crash? I doubt particularly well. If the bag slips out is becomes a missile and then blocks the floor for someone to trip over during the evacuation. I've only ever been allowed to store bags in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of you (not even in front of an empty seat)
  • mystic_trev
    Options
    Bags on seats are aloud as you are aloud to use the seatbelts for the bags. I never suggested you walk to a busness class seat with a Economy ticket as you will find that even by getting 4 seats in business class you still can't use them to lay down on. This is when you have a Eco ticket and walk too the 4 seats that are empty in Eco class.

This is complete rubbish. It may be allowable on some "Third World" Airlines, but try it next time you fly out of the UK and see what happens! I fly (on average) once a week, and have NEVER seen this.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The only time I have problems with leg room if is when I use the business class seats on KLM as they are not really made for 6f4 people. Soccergoods

Business class seat on KLM have a minimum 60 inch pitch on all their fleet.

How much room do you feel a 6ft 4 in passenger should be aloud(sic)?
  • awayfly
    awayfly Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting article here:

How to get a free airline upgrade on your flight

Talks about not flying from your airline's main hub airport due to lots of competition from frequent flyer members. In other words it would be very difficult to get upgraded at Heathrow with British Airways, unless you were a high ranking elite flyer. Article mentions joining smaller frequent flyer programs to increase chances of upgrade.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    awayfly wrote:
    Interesting article here:

How to get a free airline upgrade on your flight

Talks about not flying from your airline's main hub airport due to lots of competition from frequent flyer members. In other words it would be very difficult to get upgraded at Heathrow with British Airways, unless you were a high ranking elite flyer. Article mentions joining smaller frequent flyer programs to increase chances of upgrade.

It is a little disappointing that the article is trying to tempt you to buy their book on how to get an upgrade. There is little point in joining the smaller frequent flyer programmes if they don't fly from your airport of choice to your chosen destinations.

The declared policy of most major airlines these days is not to upgrade anyone unless the economy cabin is full. If it is full, preference is given to the ‘elite’ frequent flyers.

Many of these elite frequent flyers pay full fare for business/first class tickets and if there was a good chance of them being upgraded(regardless of the how much room was left in economy) they would buy an economy ticket and hope for an upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure