How do 'frugal gadgets' work? Fear...

Hi

Does anyone use 'frugal gadgets' like a 'Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor' (so you can see how much power a appliance uses) or 'Home Energy Monitor' (the wireless type that gives you a display on you current electricity usage)?

How are these supposed to save you money? It is the worry of money that should motivate you to switch stuff OFF?

Is it just by the fear factor that you are spending 10p on leaving a bulb on all night?
Thing like leaving a charge (un-loaded) plugged in, does that really cost?

What about leaving the PC in sleep mode, so that you can actually use in without having to boot it up (waiting 5-10mins).
Also leaving the printer powered so that it can clean the ink cartridge head so that the printer actually works when I come to use it.
Wireless router - I leave this on too, as it is difficult to get to.

I do switch off the TV, DVD and freeview/hard drive recorder box, but I know the hard drive recorder switches itself on to record stuff, so I am thinking it is when I can hear the disc spinning that it is taking the most power?

How do I get my family to switch off the lights, my bug is the wife leaving the utility light on most of the time.

What have peoples experiences been with 'gadgets' that help you be frugal?

Thanks
Giles

Comments

• F_T_Buyer
    F_T_Buyer Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I got an energy saver when I moved in to my new home, the only thing I regularly do is turn my TV (and surround, game console etc) via an energy saving extension lead (switches off with remote) when I go bed.

I used to look at it, but not any more... They're good to make you aware, e.g. how much a tumble drier costs etc..

Maybe I should unplug the energy monitor to save more energy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure