Q&A with Work and Pensions Minister Maria Miller on child support changes

Options

Comments

• PreludeForTimeFeelers
    Options
    Regarding closure of existing cases, will CSA1 cases be prioritised over CSA2 cases?

Will a reassessment due to a change of circumstances trigger the earlier move to the new system/closure of the case, or will it be held on the existing system until such time it would have been selected for closure anyway?

They didn't say whether CSA1 cases were to be given priority...I get the impression that it may depend on the level of debts that exist which will be a factor on how easy they will be to close and then open again on the new system.

I don't think reassessments will affect how quickly a case will move, essentially all current cases, both old and new rules, are going to be closed, but the time-scale given was approx 3 years I think. They know how messy the transition from CS1 to CS2 was, and don't want to repeat the same mistakes, which is why they're going down the case closure route rather than case conversion.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Matt_Fry wrote: »

9) Can you introduce a rule that childrens tax credits are payable to all working parents? Its Currently unavailable to parents not living with their children and the NRPs income is taxed twice.
    So let me get this correct you want say for example my situation a NRP who has had not one itoa of contact with the child since the day he was born (15 years) be able to collect child tax credits, just because he is a father?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • DX2
    edited 22 February 2011 at 11:11PM
    Options
    11) Current regulations prevent benefits and housing being awarded to persons whose circumstances as an unemployed/homeless person are self inflicted. Can we extend this rule to PWCs to they can claim child maintenance provided their circumstances as a single parent are not self-inflicted?
    How does one prove a single parent is self-inflicted?
    15) Can you introduce a rule for parents claiming child support from the state but fail to identify or conceal the other parents identity will forfeit their claim for state support.
    How do you claim child support from the state?

For example a single parent would get IS or JSA for themself and this would be topped up by child tax credits for the children, so are you saying that if a PWC doesn't reveal the identity of the other parent then they loose their child tax credits?

By god child poverty groups would be up in arms. Was this appraoch not done already if you didn't name the NRP your IS would be reduced? But in those days all child support that was collected went back to the SOS to pay for the benefits that the PWC was getting, and lo n behold how many NRP's were screaming their lungs out why should I pay the social will pay and what's the point my kid never see the money anyway it goes to the SOS.

Sounds like you are going backwards not forward.
    *SIGH*
  • DX2
    edited 23 February 2011 at 3:34AM
    Options
    How will the new system work if a NRP has say for example two PWC's?
    Will the NRP have to pay the fee twice if both PWC's and the NRP can't agree on maintenance direct, or will there be a discount rate. BOGOF CSA stylee.
    *SIGH*
  • Rustic100
    Options
    Can the new legislation "prevent the CSA/CMEC assessing and backdating arrears dating years back, if it is shown to be due to a CSA error, as this causes distress, does not allow planning of family finances and ultimatley may damage a childs situation.
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    New plans rely on the co-operation of two parents who are likely in a polarised-opposite-can't agree situation. The new plans assume parents are capable in that polarised-opposite-can't agree situation of putting their children first. Good luck is all I can say! Why are you going to penalise people financially for being in a difficult position emotionally and why would I, as a PWC who's ex refuses to engage with the CSA, be penalised financially for the CSA failing to catch up with him? Essentially you're going to charge me for NOT receiving child maintenance!

And for those of us who have non-compliant NRPs, I would like the question to be asked about why compliance has been ignored entirely in this Green Paper? Are we to assume we are now 'on our own' in chasing NRPs for child maintenance or is the point of this review to try and free up caseworker time to deal with the more 'serious' non-compliance cases? If we are on our own, what procedures are going to be put in place to ensure that we can chase non-compliant NRPs through the court system and is Legal Aid going to be available to those of us on low incomes?
  • DX2
    Options
    New plans rely on the co-operation of two parents who are likely in a polarised-opposite-can't agree situation. The new plans assume parents are capable in that polarised-opposite-can't agree situation of putting their children first. Good luck is all I can say!
    I'm wondering where all this support is coming from that is mentioned in the report, again on paper everything looks wonderful but in theory I suspect it will be far from wonderful! I just hope to god I am out of the system before CSA3 reaches me.

I have been through CSA1, and CSA2 and by god I can say without a doubt this is one of the worst organisations set up that I have ever had the displeasure of using.

Way back in 1995 when a PWC was on benefits and they were forced to name the NRP, that was the minute family life was destroyed, certainly in my case.
    *SIGH*
  • LovesDennys
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    Will the NRP have to pay the fee twice

I think the intention is the applicant pays the fee and NRPs arent known for applying for child maintenance. Otherwise there may be a conflict with Section 1 of the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971.
    Denny's Franchisee of the year (Best Restaurant) 1989-1991.
  • LovesDennys
    Options
    How does one prove a single parent is self-inflicted?

The same rules as for state benefits.
  • LovesDennys
    Options
    Way back in 1995 when a PWC was on benefits and they were forced to name the NRP, that was the minute family life was destroyed, certainly in my case.

How so?

To be honest its only fair otherwise its not fair on the taxpayer to pick up the bill for your marital problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure