Phone Forces Abroad

Options
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE CHEAPEST WAY TO PHONE BRITISH FORCES IN GERMANY?
DAUGHTERS BOYFRIEND ONLY HAS MOBILE (NOT SURE IF uk OR GERMAN) OR SOME SORT OF FORCES CARD.
COSTING US A FORTUNE!
WE HAVE CONTRACT/PAY AS GO MOBILES,BT AND NTL LAND LINES

Comments

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Join 1899 and call from a landline to landline. This will be the cheapest; at the moment 3p per call from BT and other landlines. If one of your mobiles is on an Orange price plan contract, you can access free via an 08081 number, again 1899 charge 3p.

Whether it will stay at this price or go back up to 1/2p per minute, anybody's guess

If you can only call a German mobile they charge 15p per minute

http://www.call1899.co.uk/index2.php
  • sergeant121
    Options
    Calling a German mobile on 1899 costs 15p/minute but that can be reduced to 13p (with thanks, again, to the MSE Call Checker):

Telestunt 13p/min (09119224141)
    Budgetcom 13p/min (09119221221)
    Telesavers 13p/min (09119226226)
    CheapestCalls 13p/min (09119221414)
    30 years, 217 days!
  • WHIZKID2
    Options
    Is That From A Mobile Or Land Line
  • WHIZKID2
    Options
    WHIZKID2 wrote:
    Is That From A Mobile Or Land Line
    AND HOW DO I REGISTER WITH 1899? PLEASE BEAR WITH ME, I'M NEW TO ALL THIS POSTING STUFF,AND ANYTHING TO DO WITH MOBILES COMPUTERS,INTERNET ETC
  • sergeant121
    Options
    WHIZKID2 wrote:
    AND HOW DO I REGISTER WITH 1899? PLEASE BEAR WITH ME, I'M NEW TO ALL THIS POSTING STUFF,AND ANYTHING TO DO WITH MOBILES COMPUTERS,INTERNET ETC
    First thing WHIZKID2, is find the Caps Lock key on the left and turn it off (posting in capitals is considered to be shouting and rude).

Second, the list of 0911 numbers I gave above is calling from a UK landline to a German mobile.

Third, registering with call1899.co.uk is easy but can only be done online (you'll need to have your debit or credit card handy when you do so). Just click HERE and then on the Sign Up link at the top left of the 1899 website and fill in the necessary information.

However, although 1899 is the cheapest way to call a German landline (3p connection and then 0p per minute), it is not the cheapest way to call a German mobile.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • WHIZKID2
    Options
    First thing WHIZKID2, is find the Caps Lock key on the left and turn it off (posting in capitals is considered to be shouting and rude).

thankz for your help i'm very,very new to this and i had no idea about shouting, so sorry! is there anything else i should know before i offend anyone?
  • sergeant121
    Options
    No worries. We all have to learn. Nobody's taken offence. :D
    30 years, 217 days!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know from experience that forces bases differ. Some of them have cyber rooms where computers are freely available. If you daughters friend is computer literate and if she is, they could either email one another or do the messenger thing. That is where they both sit and type, reading one anothers message as it is being written.

Then there is text on mobiles. Sending text is infinately cheaper than making the actual call.

As our daughter is in the forces, we know only too well the two "c" words, communication & cost.

Equally annoying are mobiles and coverage. From one base she could get only a poor signal, aquired second mobile, fine. Then changed base and the second mobile was ineffective and so on. From the two "c" words, has led us to the "f" word, "frustration".

Let us know how it works out, and don't worry about causing offence. We are all human and as such, are all subject to making errors. Some people are less tolerant than others though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure