Alton Towers to charge for disabled parking.

Options
As per the title- I've just seen this via the facebook group and wanted to spread the word in case anyone is off there over half term. AT will be charging £5 for blue badge holders to park- and there are a fair few other changes to disabled & carer terms that seem to have people up in arms.

It doesn't effect me, but it does seem that Merlin are hell bent on upsetting a lot of people this season, with removing free parking for standard annual passes, restricting legoland access etc.
DTD...Dreading The Detox.

Comments

• martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 February 2011 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Tin hat on, but why should a blue badge holder get free parking, when they already get discounted admission and free entry for a carer? I'm fully in favour of them parking as close as possible to the attraction, but they should pay the same as Joe Public.

Blue badge does not equal poverty stricken.
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    Most places do charge BB holders now, including our local hospital.

I take the point about 'disabled = poor', however, there should be some concessions as slow moving folk are not getting equal benefits as they have to pay for longer periods. For example, I could pay £1.50 for 30 minutes to get around town, however a BB holder may have to pay double to visit the same shops/banks.

As for AT, they have a cheek to charge for parking at all with their entrance fees!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    £5 is a bargain they charge people £15 to park in the same area, so blue badge holders are in fact getting a £10 discount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure