Jacobs Certificated Bailiffs

Options
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice please.

I received a letter from Jacobs Bailiffs about 3 weeks ago saying i owe them £548.20 for a council tax bill. This is apparently from about 5 years ago?

I rang them up and they said i need to ring a guy on his mobile so i did, left a message, gave it a day but i didn't hear back. I then rang the head office in birkenhead again and they told me someone else was dealing with it now and gave me his number (grrrr!) so i rang him and suprise suprise no answer!, left him a message telling him to call me as i wanted to get it resolved.

On the 18th Feb i got a letter threw the door saying 'hand delivered do not ignore' it stated i owe £166.20 ?? the last one said £548.20?! and to get in touch, so once again i tried to ring and left a message and no answer.

Today (21st Feb) i got a letter saying they are in possession of a liability order to seize goods! so i tried ringing him again today telling him to ring me and i wanted proof of were and when i owe this money from.

I also rang the council who i apparently owe the money to and they said i would have to speak to the debt company as they have all the details now.

So my question is, i have apparently 24 hours to get in touch and he won't answer his phone so what am i meant to do?

Do i stand anywere legally as this is approx 5 years old now?

Hope i have covered everything

Matt :D

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

Two issues here

1. bailiffs

Bascially stop dealing with them on the phone. And under no circumsntaces whatso ever let them in the house. They cannot sieze anything in that case and you have a lot more than 24 hours. Do you have a car?

2. Liaibility order - this is just the document that the council got 5 years ago because some CT was outstanding. They may want you to deal with the bailiffs but you have a right to know how much the LO was for in the first instance. Ring the Council and ask in the morning and check whether the amount includes the court costs.

3. Unless there is a WPO or levy you owe the LO+ a maximum of £42.50, which is what they can charge for two letters. They cannot charge any more than that.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • MattWebb_2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and advice.

I can check online the balance and it says i owe £531.10, one letter said £548.20 and the most recent one is £166.20?

Which one do i believe!? I will double check with the council in the morning.

I Would much rather deal with the council rather then the debt company, is this possible?

M
  • MattWebb_2
    Options
    Also, you say don't deal with them via phone. Should i write to them explaining my issues and the fact i want a transaction list of the payments i have made/apparently not made?

Thanks again
  • RAS
    Options
    Do you own a car?
  • MattWebb_2
    Options
    Yes, Parked behind gates which can get a lock on it !
  • RAS
    Options
    MattWebb wrote: »
    Yes, Parked behind gates which can get a lock on it !

That will not necessarily help. If the bailiff finds out your registration number he will levy on the car.

Do you have a family member who you can contact urgently to whom you can "sell" the car for £1, with a receipt and transfer owenership for a few weeks.

I could be well worth doing. Once bailiffs start mucking around with van fees etc, it can be £150 added to the bill.

Are you absolutely sure that none of the paperwork has your car number on it, or the word levy?
  • MattWebb_2
    Options
    Ok.

Yes am sure i can do that, would it mean me transferring my v5 over though? would it be worth me parking the car somewere else until it is resolved. It is used as a taxi, would they still be able to take it?

None of the letter has the word on it or my reg no etc. It says i had failed to respond to the previous letter even though i tried ringing him?

It says if i don't contact him it is going to be passed over to the enforcement bailiffs who will attend my property for full immediate payment or to remove goods for sale?

Should i take note of the amount he has stated or the £548.00?

Thanks for advice.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    MattWebb wrote: »
    It is used as a taxi, would they still be able to take it?
    If when you say taxi, you mean you derive your livelihood from it, rather than just ferrying family and friends about, I believe they cannot take it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • MattWebb_2
    Options
    Sorry, yes it is used as a private hire vehicle, its my job.

Were do I stand with the amounts been different by a big amount?

Also, if the guy isn't answering my calls, how should I get intouch with the company? They do have a head office but when I last rang they said I had to speak to the rep direct?

Thanks again guys.
  • RAS
    Options
    If you derive your livlihood fromnm the vehicle, it is safe. You may need to make sure the bailiffs knows however.

What is the LO valued at.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family