We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Herbs in the porch?

Options
Becles
Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
We have a large porch at the front of our house. It has large glass windows on two sides, a glass front door and a tiled roof. It doesn't have central heating so it's cold in there in the winter, and it has an opening window as it gets too hot in the summer!

I was thinking about buying this plant stand and some zinc bucket pots:
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/src/gbase/coopers-of-stortford-corner-plant-stand-prodst08148i/

and planting various herbs in them that I use when I'm cooking.

Would they be happy growing in the porch, and what varieties do best in pots?
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,270 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It depends how hot it gets in summer, if stifling then you really need some tough herbs with silvery / furry leaves, like sage, lavender, rosemary & possibly thyme

The greener ones, such as basil will just wilt in the heat
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sirbrainy
    sirbrainy Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    Our basil does great in 35C over the summer (abroad) - you just need to keep it well watered.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I start mine off in the porch, much to Himself's dismay, and bring them on to the kitchen windowsill (eg. basil, parsley, coriander), the larger herbs live outside (eg. mint, sage, thyme, rosemary etc).

Zinc pots might be detrimental as it will sizzle the roots if in direct sunshine.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks. Never thought about zinc getting hot!

It does get warm on sunny summer days as it's south facing. There's plenty of room on the drive though so I could lift things outside if they start to wilt.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that's why the silver coloured metal pots/planters etc are reduced so much at the end of the season. Looked good on gardening programmes, but killed the plants.

There don't seem to be quite so many in catalogues anymore :cool:
  • sirbrainy
    sirbrainy Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    You can get the big £19.99 ones for £5 in my Homebase, they've been that price for a month but nobody seems to want them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure