We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Swalec wont give me a proper bill!

Options
charlie792
charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I applied to switch suppliers at the beginning of December and in January everything was switched to my new suppliers, I gave them my meter readings and they were to pass them on to Swalec.

On the 20th Jan I had an email to say my final bills were ready to view online and I obviously wanted to check the meter readings were correct etc, the electric bill was fine and I duly paid that - however I have still not paid the gas bill - Online it has updated that I am in X amount debit but they have not produced an actual bill or breakdown of charges - it was a lot higher than I thought it would be for little over a months usage - especially seeing as Im paying half of that with my new supplier so I definitely wanted to check I was paying for the right readings.

I had the same problem in December when my quarterly bill was due and it took a long time to get them to finally update my account after a lot of nagging, except this time they seem to be ignoring me totally.
I have asked on numerous occasions for them to give me the actual bill and each time I get fobbed off that it will take 24hours to update, a month later and Ive still had nothing - Ive even emailed them a week ago but as of yet still had no response - so much for responding within 2 days....

Obviously Im not trying to avoid paying the bill but I want to see what Im paying for before I pay it - however I am worried that on my electric bill it said payment had to be made within 10 days, now obviously if the debit for gas was issued on the 20th Jan that means Im hell of a late time in paying and do not want to subsequently incur any charges etc...

Any advice?
MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
Sept 2016 £104,800
Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

Comments

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not call them and check the read they have. Then check the new supplier has the same strt read.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    charlie792 wrote: »
    ...I have asked on numerous occasions for them to give me the actual bill and each time I get fobbed off ..

Step 1 - you call them and allow them until 8pm the following working day to get the issue resolved (or come to some mutual agreement otherwise)

Step 2 - you write to their head of customer service. I would do this in letter form, not email. They have 5 working days to resolve (or come to some mutual agreement otherwise)

Step 3 - You go to the ombudsman

http://www.swalec.co.uk/Help/ForYourHome/ComplaintsProcedure.aspx
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Originally Posted by charlie792 viewpost.gif
    ...I have asked on numerous occasions for them to give me the actual bill and each time I get fobbed off ..
    Get the address of head office from the company's house website and write to them or go to the suppliers website and contact them by email.
    Give brief details of when and how you have contacted them and that if they do not send you either a paper or electronic bill within 21/28 days of the date you write the letter or send the email you will consider the account paid in full, or take county court action if you think ,or are in credit, this in my opinion will have the bill in your inbox or on the doormat in well under the 21/28 days, whichever you decide to give them.

I have used this method a few times, always printing the letter to head office as well as the address on the envelope as it looks better than a handwritten letter.
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family