We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old Southern Electric Bill

Options
Hi, just received a phone call from Southern Electric who claim that I didn't pay a bill for £38 from November 2009 (yes 2009).
I changed supplier in that month and the bill was the final bill, which as far as i can remember was paid.
Move out of property in July 2010 having never received any red letter warning letters etc.

So I then get a phone call out of the blue saying I have 5 days to pay the bill or they will start debt collection proceedings.

So firstly, why is this the first I am hearing about it, and what grounds do they have for suddenly springing this upon me. Had I changed mobile number within that time they would never have been able to contact me. And would they really bother taking this any further for £38?!

Thanks.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, they can pursue the debt for up to 6 years.
    They'll sell it on for a fiver or so, and the DCA will certainly pursue it.
    Was the final bill based on your supplied closing reading? If it's not valid, then you should dispute it in writing. If it is, then pay it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    andrew456 wrote: »
    Hi, just received a phone call from Southern Electric who claim that I didn't pay a bill for £38 from November 2009 (yes 2009)....

So firstly, why is this the first I am hearing about it, and what grounds do they have for suddenly springing this upon me. Had I changed mobile number within that time they would never have been able to contact me. And would they really bother taking this any further for £38?!

Thanks.

Did you provide your new contact address when you informed them you were leaving the property?

Debts rarely just disappear even if you try to ... and £38 is £38.
    Lend us £38 will ya? :cool:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport