We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unable to pay electricity bill for 30 days

Options
I have just received my gas and electricity bill from British Gas. Gas bill was £300 and my electricity bill was £100. I could afford to pay my gas bill now but, as for the electricity, that has to wait until I'm paid on the 17th March. I explained this to British Gas and they said something regarding 28 days. They said any payments which aren't made after 28 days will be passed onto another department and I will probably receive a letter but 'its nothing to worry about as long as you pay on the 17th' according to the person on the phone. He said by the time the letter is sent out, it would've been paid. I was also told to expect a phone call but to 'explain you will pay on the 17th'.

Just wondering if this will affect my credit scoring? I asked this and he said it wouldn't, that it was standard procedure and that I won't be charged for this.

Is this British Gas just fobbing me off until they DO add a charge for a payment being 3 days after the 28 day 'period'? Anyone had any experience of paying a bill slightly late?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't worry about just a few days; you've 'phoned them and explained your situation.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't you pay say £250 on one and £50 on the other?
    Or switch to monthly DD?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Why don't you pay say £250 on one and £50 on the other?
    Or switch to monthly DD?

I was going to suggest something similar.

I was going to suggest calling BG and explaining the situation. Offer to pay them £200 today with the promise of the further £100 after you get paid.

If they accept this proposal (which they probably would) then you have £100 left to pay the electric in full (saves negotiating with two companies)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport