We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Yearly gas usage. Kwh. Opinions please

Options
Just been on the phone to my gas supplier find out my kwh year gas usage and she said it was 54447

Now this seems a lot to me but I dont really know so was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion Please

We have a large 4 bed house built in 1928
Gas on the hob
1 gas fire ( that I hardly ever use because we have a real coal fire in the lounge)

Central heating doesnt go on til end of oct and gets completely turned off middle of feb.

Does that seem like a normal amount?

Cheers

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems high to me too. Here are some average figures:

http://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/switchingguide/averageenergyuse.aspx
    Stompa
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems normal for a large poorly insulated overly heated house.

Simple way to check is read your meter daily, weekly and session by session. Get an idea of how much your house uses and adjust temperature/comfort/budget to suit whichever is most important.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2011 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Your usage is very high mine for a 3 bedroom semi Jan 2010 to Jan 2011 was 18,110 kWh compared with your 54,447 assuming that is kWh

I use gas for cooking and GCH, no gas fire and we do have a log burner but do us gch a lot

when I moved in 2007 the house was cold so I got loft insulation and I also insulate the walls when possible with think polystyrene lining which may not help much but helps cut down on condensation. I have solid walls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport