"I found an ambulance quite moving" blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• Yeh, they get me from time to time too.

I even got misty eyed reading your account of getting misty eyed :)
  • We're all soppy at heart. Some of us try to pretend we're cool but this is about being able to feel for someone in trouble. Empathy! I think that was what we saw when Diana died, pure and simple.
  • dancingfairydancingfairy Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That happened to me a couple of weeks ago - I got to a pedestrian crossing where people normally try and ignore the crossing lights and dive across anyway - there loads of students and people generally cross without much thought but just as I got to the crossing everyone just stopped, a split second later I realised it was because there was an ambulance approaching but it was amazing the way everyone just stopped.
    I was impressed as you would expect that from car drivers but normally pedestrians aren't so aware.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • People are a lot nicer than we are lead to believe!
    If your only source of info on us is the media one would wonder how we managed to survive for so many millennia...
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was the only one who got emotional when seeing an ambulance in a similar situation.. and I used to be an ambulance driver (non emergency) . Daft aren't we?
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Its quite mad isn;t it. I work in a hospital and hear them all day long, but its definitely the way people act on the road together that affects me!
    :kisses2: Got married September 2011:smileyhea

• Stephen_LeakStephen_Leak
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can also go wrong. I've pulled in and been overtaken by other drivers. Once, I was in a queue of rush-hour traffic and pulled into the side to let an approaching ambulance pass. The less-observant driver behind actually pulled alongside me and managed to block the entire carriageway.

What gets me is when you see an ambulance with just the lights going and no siren. Evidently, it's called "blue alert". They do that when they have someone in real trouble aboard - heart attack, severe shock - where the sound of the siren could push them over the edge.

IMHO, we don't deserve our emergency services.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • edited 18 February 2011 at 12:18PM
    ElkyElkyElkyElky Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    edited 18 February 2011 at 12:18PM
    I don't get this blog post. Moving out of the way for emergency services.. isn't that what the law says you must do? After all, we don't want someones blood on our hands.

Why is complying with the law "moving"?

I've pulled over hundreds of times for emergency services but it doesn't make me drop to the ground blubbering like a hysterical idiot.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • I also wish to thank our wonderful ambulance drivers, had the need to use them on Wednesday 16/2/11 after being hit head on by another car skidding over to my side of the road. Whatever they get paid isn't nearly enough.
  • edited 18 February 2011 at 3:33PM
    mysunimysuni Forumite
    237 Posts
    edited 18 February 2011 at 3:33PM
    A few years ago my daughter needed to be transported by ambulance and i was horrified by the number of people that don't move and pedestrians that walked in to the road even though the siren and lights were on. The paramedic driving said it is quite common for people to deliberately get in the way so it's great when you do see people doing the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides