Forum Home » Debt-Free Wannabe

Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion

edited 23 February 2011 at 10:51AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
101 replies 32.8K views

Replies

• I work in mental health and I'm really impressed by this booklet. I will be emailing it to many colleagues and support workers and using it myself with clients.

I think it is very well thought out, well written and constructive.

It's a shame that the link between mental health and finance has not been highlighted or acknowledged sooner by the government.

Well done to Martin and the others involved in being so proactive and bringing this issue to the attention of the general public.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natty68 wrote: »
    Thank you for this Martin.. I am one of those that suffers with Bi Polar and unfortunately am struggling with my debt. Am getting there slowly but unfortunately some of my creditors are not being very understanding. This booklet came at a much needed time today.. Many thanks.

Is it okay if I print it off and take it along to my care worker so that she can show it to my Mental Health Team at the hospital, for possible future use.

OF course - Im happy with it being used anyhow for non-commercial use to take people.

(note for others reading, the only thing Im not happy about is extracts being used elsewhere without permission as I am concerned it may be used out of context)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blob999 wrote: »
    Though your guide is an excellent idea, and I am fully in support of it, it seems preternaturally strange that you have told people to download and print it, and yet failed to provide a printer friendly version.

What do I mean by this?

Well the PDF I downloaded has full colour pictures, massive bold coloured areas, blocks of solid ink everywhere etc.
    :mad:

A printer friendly version would provide just the text, in order to save precious ink. There you go, a money-saving tip for the money-saving tippers!!
    :A

I suppose if you are printing at work it doesn't matter (though you may need to avoid prying eyes), but for people printing at home this guide costs needless expense in wasted ink. A strange irony from the Money Saving Experts!

Please provide a text-only version.

In the meantime, users can save a bit by copying the essential text and pasting to a Word document for slight savings on the cover photo etc.

Thanks guys! :T

Hi we did think about this and have few full colour blocks for that reason - and it has been designed to work in black and white (note the 'red and green boxes specifically tell you their colour as well as are in colour)

Yet a text only version and layout would mean it lacks polish, easy reading and frankly a bit of gravitas and we thought it was important too for people to feel it is 'proper'and a 'keeper' :)
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS as a general note we will be looking at all suggestions for improvments in a couple of week and tweaking the guide if necessary.
  • monaebrookmonaebrook Forumite
    65 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    What a fantastic resourse. In my field of work a lot of my clients are struggling with both a mental health issue and the resultant debt. Often they are so unwell it is impossible to see a way forward. There are organisations out there who CAN help and I frequently refer to CCCS, but this booklet will be donwloaded, printed off and put in my office! In my view, anything that can help people to feel a little bit less alone has to be a good thing. We all live in such a materialistic world these days that when someone has thier own personal 'LBM' just knowing they are not alone makes such a HUGE difference. Thanks Martin and the charities involved.

• Hi

This is my first post, and I've made the step of registering here because I have just read your booklet about Mental Health and Debt. I didn't realise how tied the two were. I don't know where to start to cut my debt, mainly credit cards that I have run up over the past couple of years while going through a bout of severe agitated depression, I've tried to pay them off using a loan but can't get a loan because somehow one of the cc's is showing a default even though no payments have been missed and they've always taken the minimum payment. It's all becoming too much again and I can't see anywhere to go. My family have disowned me over my illness and I have no where to turn. I'm hoping someone on here can help me to try and get things under control.

Thanks for the booklet.

D
  • Dizzaster wrote: »
    Hi

This is my first post, and I've made the step of registering here because I have just read your booklet about Mental Health and Debt. I didn't realise how tied the two were. I don't know where to start to cut my debt, mainly credit cards that I have run up over the past couple of years while going through a bout of severe agitated depression, I've tried to pay them off using a loan but can't get a loan because somehow one of the cc's is showing a default even though no payments have been missed and they've always taken the minimum payment. It's all becoming too much again and I can't see anywhere to go. My family have disowned me over my illness and I have no where to turn. I'm hoping someone on here can help me to try and get things under control.

Thanks for the booklet.

D

Hi Dizzaster, and welcome!
    Why not start your own thread in the Debt Free Wannabees section? There are loads of people here to help you out, and support you.

Clarie
    Debt Free and Proud!
  • Thank you Clarie, I think I have just done that.

Dizz
  • I have been getting the weekly e-mail for a while but have never been moved to post something on the forum- until now.

I can't applaud Martin enough :T for putting this guide together and for highlighting this as an issue. A very close family member of mine suffers from long term mental health issues and has similarly suffered from debt problems for some time. Unfortunately this has led to some really hard times for all the family- at one point nearly ending in the person in question going to prison after having to resort to desparate measures to deal with the debt.

I don't think at any time anyone pointed out that the two issues could be linked. Had they done this may never have got to the stage it did.

Things are better now but by no means perfect. I think this is something that will plague her life for a long time yet. BUT I have learnt from her (and my own) mistakes and through the money advice i have received from this site and have passed on to her things are improving.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart for campaigning on this issue (it really is something that can tear families apart) and helping me realise i am not alone in my experience. :)
  • Thank you, thank you and thank you, Mr Lewis and also to all who worked with you to create this booklet! :A I've suffered from depression at various times, over many years and it has had a huge impact on my 'financial affairs', no doubt about it. I literally have tears in my eyes at what's been written in the booklet; but more importantly than that, it's HOW it's been written that's really 'floored' me! I've spent a long time feeling (and being made to feel) ashamed about my depression. I've suddenly seen that I am not alone in having this, and that my 'financial situation' has happened to so many others...

Knighthood?? Why wait for the 'formalities' - can we just start calling you "Sir Martin" ourselves, anyway??!

Thank you, again! :wave: