We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Southern knocked on door to tell me cheapest option?

Options
just had a young girl knocking on my door. She was from Southern Electric and was calling me I should swap to online saver 4 (like she just has!) as it's their newest and cheapest tarrif.

Is this really the case. I'm wondering why they want everyone to swap to this option? If this is the cheapest option why can't they just automatically give all customers this price?
:love:

Comments

• runninglea
    Options
    dont ever sign up to a 'door deal' Did she actually tell you what your rates would be?
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • Bloomin_Freezing2
    Options
    runninglea, no i didn't sign up or anything. She just said she was calling to let me know the cheapest option and i should go online and switch myself. i just find it hard to believe that the company would be paying someone to knock on doors and tell us all the cheapest option, when we all know they're out to make as much money as possible.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason she's telling me to switch - it must benefit southern electric some way or another but i can't see how.
    :love:
  • runninglea
    Options
    Theres nothing to stop you going online and see what your cheapest supplier would be. You would need previous bills etc and what tariff you are currently on.

Whether southern electric are the cheapest I dont know, depends on usage etc
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Invite them in, put the kettle on, sit them in front of the comparison sites with you and discover together which is the cheapest supplier/tariff for you.

Then show them the cashback sites with the possibilty of a nice bung

I doubt they'll wait for the kettle to have boiled before making a bolt for the nearest exit, but if they are still there, ask them to explain how they will beat that.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • mattmk6
    mattmk6 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    they came round while i was out and conned my partner into signing the contract by telling her it was just to say he had been round

I would love to be in the background when they tell her that british gas are FRENCH owned LOL. this seems to be a common trick of thiers to get people signing up

AVOID
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Invite them in, put the kettle on, sit them in front of the comparison sites with you and discover together which is the cheapest supplier/tariff for you.

Then show them the cashback sites with the possibilty of a nice bung

Then again you might get the young Npower salesman who appeared on my door at dinner time.

I told him I was not interested as I was already on the cheapest deal. How did I know that he asked, to whcih I replied that I did regular comparisons on the comparison sites.

His reply was that the comparison sites did not include the discounts and that Npower offered massive discounts.

When I started to say that I knew the discounts were all available on the comparison sites he turned on his heels and said, "I'm not arguing with you...... blah, blah" as he disappeared to try and con someone else!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport