PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS and Vegetarian wannabe seeking help

Options
Hello OS board,

This is my first thread here so please be gentle with me. I've just moved into rented accomodation and will be cooking my own meals. I'm turning vegetarian, mainly for health reasons. I will be cooking for one, and I really enjoy cooking. The kitchen is well equipped and I do have some freezer space. I'm trying to budget for £15 a week for groceries.

I want to create a weekly menu plan which gives me a good, healthy variety of food and comes in under my budget, but I really don't know where to begin. I like using pulses but am not very creative with them.

I'm allergic to some types of fish, but am not entirely sure which I can eat so I avoid all forms of sea and river life.

I would be grateful for any help people can offer please.
"Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." (Montgomery, L.M.(1908). Anne of Green Gables.)
Debt Free Nerd No. 186 Debt was £16,534.03 Now £9,588.50

Comments

• LydiaSophia
    Options
    Why don't you buy yourself a vege cook book? have a look on Amazon I bet you'll get one for next to nothing. Then you will have tons of ideas on what to do with pulses etc. Also search the internet for ideas?
    Lydia

:T :beer:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • ShockingPink
    Options
    Hi! I'm glad you said you won't be eating fish, because vegetarians don't eat fish!

Have a look at the Vegetarian Society website http://www.vegsoc.org/ for useful advice on nutrition and some good recipe suggestions.

Also, have a look at Gingham Ribbon's vegetarian meal planner http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=257885&highlight=meal+planner

HTH
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Im a veggie too Im a board leader on a veggie board on antoher site
    some of my faves are

broccoli quiche - you can freeze it too
    rice cooked with veggies and a stock cube
    pasta with pesto or tomato sauce
    salads
    veggie lasagne - can be frozen
    veggie curry - can be frozen
    veg soup made with any veggies - can be frozen
    Pizza
    Jacket potatoes

HTH
    Nat
    xxx
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Boatie_Bird
    Options
    I can thoroughly recommend Rose Elliot's Cheap and Easy vegetarian cook book.It's only a small paperback but has loads of ideas and she tends to give amounts for 1 or 2 (which can then be upped if you are cooking for more or batch cooking).We're not vegetarian but this book gets used an awful lot in our household.
    Edited to say: I've just searched for it on Amazon and it seems to have been updated and expanded since I bought it:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheap-Easy-Essential-Vegetarian-Collection/dp/0722539487/sr=8-2/qid=1163608719/ref=sr_1_2/202-8196076-6819835?ie=UTF8&s=books
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    I can heartily recommend Rose Elliot's books too. The Bean Book is very good if you start getting into using pulses. Her meals are so economical, tasty and healthy.

I would recommend that you do it slowly rather than try to do everything all at once. Build up your larder in stages and change maybe only one or 2 meals a week to start with so it doesn't become overwhelming.

Good luck.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can highly recommend GR's thread that squeaky's provided the link for - lots of really useful recipes and info. Soups are great - especially this time of year. Make a couple a week in bulk that you can have for your lunch.

It can be a chore making all your food from scratch all the time especially if your cooking for one so get that freezer stocked up with some veggie casseroles and curries that freeze really well.

Good luck with it!

Ww
  • bobble_hat
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys. I'm very excited about cooking again, I've been moving around a lot and finally have a fully functional kitchen. Yay.

:T
    "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." (Montgomery, L.M.(1908). Anne of Green Gables.)
  • bobble_hat
    Options
    I can thoroughly recommend Rose Elliot's Cheap and Easy vegetarian cook book.It's only a small paperback but has loads of ideas and she tends to give amounts for 1 or 2 (which can then be upped if you are cooking for more or batch cooking).We're not vegetarian but this book gets used an awful lot in our household.
    Edited to say: I've just searched for it on Amazon and it seems to have been updated and expanded since I bought it:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheap-Easy-Essential-Vegetarian-Collection/dp/0722539487/sr=8-2/qid=1163608719/ref=sr_1_2/202-8196076-6819835?ie=UTF8&s=books

Thanks Boatie Bird, do you mind me asking if you live on a houseboat. I'm currently looking into doing this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Bobbly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport