overcharging gas meter

Options
quarkuk
quarkuk Posts: 14 Forumite
I have just read a article about gas meter's that have been over-regestering. they have just changed my meter, is there any way of knowing if my meter was affected and how can I claim now??

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2011 at 11:08AM
    Options
    Unless you suspect that your meter is overcharging, what are you intending to claim for?
    You can have your meter tested at any time, however this requires it to be removed for testing and you will be charged c. £60. If it proves to be faulty then this fee will be refunded.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • quarkuk
    Options
    I know it might be too late but apperently there are millions of faulty meters that have been over charging on average £13 a year over the last 10 years, it might not sound alot but its £130 that would be better in my pocket. The National Grid are "routinely" changing these meters, my Father has had the same gas meter for the last 30 years, so why did my 10 year old one need changing? I cant post the link here, must be cos I am a new member or something but I can pm the link if someone wants it.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 February 2011 at 1:34PM
    Options
    quarkuk wrote: »
    I know it might be too late but apperently there are millions of faulty meters that have been over charging on average £13 a year over the last 10 years, it might not sound alot but its £130 that would be better in my pocket. The National Grid are "routinely" changing these meters, my Father has had the same gas meter for the last 30 years, so why did my 10 year old one need changing? I cant post the link here, must be cos I am a new member or something but I can pm the link if someone wants it.

Source?

If it's that daily mail article, read it again.
    It says they were specifically investigating certain types of meters they thought would probably be inaccurate and, surprise surprise, many of those actually were. :cool:

You can't then use the same statistic to suggest that on average the whole country is affected similarly.

My gas meter doesn't even belong to National Grid!
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2011 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Source?

If it's that daily mail article, read it again.
    It says they were specifically investigating certain types of meters they thought would probably be inaccurate and, surprise surprise, many of those actually were. :cool:

You can't then use the same statistic to suggest that on average the whole country is affected similarly.

My gas meter doesn't even belong to National Grid!

I think we would have to know exactly how many of these affected meters were installed in the first place then we could make a judgement as to the amount of households who have been affected. Don't forget, this has been going on for 28 years!!

PS As the National Grid admit to installing/replacing 500,000 meters per year and one of the faulty meters installed from 2000 has apparently been left in the households and not replaced, and given that approx 7 in 10 of them have proven to be inaccurate, then it's not a massive leap of faith to suggest millions may be inaccurate (would all depend on when National grid stopped installing this particular meter)
  • quarkuk
    Options
    it wasn't the Daily Mail, it was a feature from yahoo finance subbed by, can I say, lovemoney.com let me pm the link so someone else can post it.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's all the same article and is the subject of an existing thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3052216
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    quarkuk wrote: »
    It's actually quite difficult to measure gas. Over 10 years the inaccuracy rate is allowed to overmeasure by 2%. It doesn't do it from day one it gradually degrades to the 2% error rate. It would not have cost you £130. Mine has already been changed years ago. In fact 95% of the worst meters have already been changed and when tested only a few percent were measuring outside the tolerances allowed. Your 10 year old one needed changing probably because the National Grid felt that it was time to change it. They'll take the old one back test it, refurbish it then reuse it again if possible.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • quarkuk
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    It's all the same article and is the subject of an existing thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3052216

these post contain the link from lovemoney that I wanted to post. so Thanks for all the comments.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure