Buying first home - which proiders should I go for?

Options
Alibear
Alibear Posts: 234 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone

I'm about to move into my first home (once solicitors finish their job) and don't really know where to begin regarding utilities, namely gas an electric. is it the best idea to shop around for the best deal? Or stick with the better know providers (British Gas, etc). I've heard a few stories about people switching to what they think is a better/cheaper deal only to find they get an appaling service and end up going back. I've seen some great cashback deals (via Topcashback etc) which look tempting, but don't want the pound signs to cloud my judgement.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When you move in, you will have to sign up the the existing suppliers to the property.

As comparing tariffs really depends on your actaul usage, and I suspect you have no idea, then the words frying pan and fire spring to mind.

You'll probably have 101 other things to do with your new home than worry about utility suppliers. Get those sorted out by which time you may begin to develop an idea of your usage. You can then use a comparison site.

What would be worth asking about is what tariffs are available from the cureent suppliers. You can usually get discounts for paying monthly by DD, online management/paperless billing etc.
    Just ensure there are no early exit fees if you plan on switching soon.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure