We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Fixed tariff ending, HELP!

Options
fordy
fordy Posts: 254 Forumite
Currently we are with E-on on Fix online 6, current bill @ £675 a year.

Units 3614 kWh Electricity, 9922 kWh Gas.

Mum can get the Age UK Price Protection tariff with E-on but it will work out nearly £200 more expensive. (I don't see how that is meant to benefit pensioners)

How volatile are energy prices going to be this next year, is it worth taking a punt and not going with a fixed/capped tariff?

Appreciate any advice

thanks

David

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been on varying fixed tariffs for a number of years .
    Works out that i am about one and a half steps behind current price increases .

Will Energy prices go down ???? hard one but when was last significant drop that was not covered by a rise six months before/after .

India China Ex Soviet block all want more energy meaning new sources or more competitive market and higher prices .

How much more expensive over a current account is the fixed tariff is always my first question .

jje
  • fordy
    Options
    well the best E-on are offering us is track and save 8 which comes in at @£745 which is far better than Age UK Price Protection tariff which is actually coming in at @£1,042!!

at that price difference theres no benefit at all.

Wish id known about the 4 week minimum switch time, the contract ends 1st march :/

Oh, as I type this the bill from the reading I took earlier came through.

3727 Electricity, 10564 Gas.

Back to the drawing board.
  • echoecho_2
    Options
    fordy,

eon's cheapest tariff is saveonline 5 but that is only available via your online account. Best thing to do is to get your annual kwh consumption and use a price comparison site to find your best deal.
  • fordy
    Options
    yeah, its coming back between EDF and Npower but they aren't fixed or capped. Its such a risk, damned if you do damned if you dont

I'm !!!!ed with E-on, we've been with them for years now and they've been cheaper consistently every year.
  • monkeyspanner
    monkeyspanner Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2011 at 6:12PM
    Options
    fordy wrote: »
    well the best E-on are offering us is track and save 8 which comes in at @£745 which is far better than Age UK Price Protection tariff which is actually coming in at @£1,042!!

at that price difference theres no benefit at all.

Wish id known about the 4 week minimum switch time, the contract ends 1st march :/

Oh, as I type this the bill from the reading I took earlier came through.

3727 Electricity, 10564 Gas.

Back to the drawing board.

I think Fix Online 6 might end on 1st April. For us the best alternative is first utility (fixed for 3 month) then edf Online Saver 8 (variable). Both about £110 a year more expensive. Cheapest longer ternm fixed is edf fixed saver dual £235 more expensive. We usually look at comparison sites like uswitch.com and then look for cash back with quidco.com which is offering £50 cash back for a dual fuel switch to edf.
    Eon is offering Price Protect 2014 to existing customers but it is £420 a year more expensive for us.
  • Airmike23
    Options
    Based on consumption you provided cheapest deal bar none is Online Saver 8 with EDF - this is a variable unit rate tariff. Cherapest fixed deal is EDF again Fixed Saver. which will be about £100 dearer than last 12m+ on Eon Fix Online 6 the Online Saver is about £30 dearer than Fix Online 6
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport