PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting? Your top tips please.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2015 at 12:57AM

This post has been moved. Please go to

Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants :

Topics covered:

* Deposits
    (payment, protection, return)

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy?

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

* Repossession: what if a LL's mortgage lender repossesses the property?

* New landlords: advice, information & links

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?

• joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Recognise that BTL is not simply an investment, it's a business. Prepare a proper business plan.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    The best flat we ever rented we found on Gumtree and never had to deal with a letting agent. .

I also know someone who found a long-term tenant on Gumtree and it does work, however you need to be aware that Gumtree has its fair share of fraudsters so you need to be very careful.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    I also know someone who found a long-term tenant on Gumtree and it does work, however you need to be aware that Gumtree has its fair share of fraudsters so you need to be very careful.
    Very very careful.

Gumtree? :rotfl:
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    G_M wrote: »
    Gumtree? :rotfl:

Yes, that is what I thought, but he managed to get a foreign corporate tenant through it who has stayed for 3 years now and has actually improved the property (he fixed a squeaky step amongst other things).
  • Yeah...we were worried about the Gumtree thing too (especially when the previous tenant was a bit rubbish at giving us the keys). But it worked for us.
  • Thanks for your help guys, it is appreciated!.
    I will keep you updated, I am sure I will be back to ask more :-)
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    assj wrote: »
    Hi All

I am planning to let my house shortly, its a nice house and has a nice but small garden. I wanted to ask if it would be allowed to have a gardner come in and keep the garden even with the tenants.

And I also need your top tips?

Thanks muchly.

I let properties that have a gardener included. They start off as part of the agreement and then subside once the tenant has taken on the property and show they will tend to the outside and will up keep and make their own. All of the properties I let are in the countryside, have fields backing on and in some cases outbuildings that need weed control around the perimeters.

I have to say that my experience over 20 years is that benefit tenants are the ones that need to have a gardener attend. They do not do anything outside apart from dump their rubbish unfortunately.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Re: Agencies. I'm currently working away from home in the week and renting a flat in another city. When I was looking, it didn't occur to me to look anywhere than with agencies. My thinking was that it works both ways, and I was more likely to get a decent landlord. So far, so good....(mostly!)

I think something like gumtree carries more risk. It's said that 10% of tenants are bad, and 10% of landlords are bad. If they all end up together then it's fine, but mostly they don't!
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2011 at 9:33AM
    Only go into lettings if you have the emotional & financial reserves to cope with the "tenant from hell" (or the "agent from hell") who doesn't pay for, say, 7 months whilst you keep paying mortgage & legal fees to get them out.

Recognise there are snake-oil salesmen out there punting get-rich schemes, guaranteed rent schemes, buy-below-market schemes, become a millionaire-in-6-months schemes, take-my-training-course & you'll be rich schemes: All crooks & shysters we don't want in out country..

Assume some years you will make a loss: That way it won't come as a surprise.

Treat your tenants with decency & respect. The place become their home, their property (oh yes, their property - see
    http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2010/08/31/urban-myth-when-a-landlord-lets-a-property-its-still-his/
    - your investment only whilst they remain there..).

If you treat them decently there is a chance they might treat you & your investment decently also. If you treat them like dirt, guess what happens??

Cheers!

Artful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family