We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Dsiabled + Partner Wants University

Hi there,

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so I hope this section in the forum is suitable.

I'm 25 and disabled, receiving Disability Living Allowance and Income Support. I currently live with my parents in West Sussex. My partner is 21 and lives in the Midlands with her parents.

At the moment my partner's finishing off her last year at college and would like to go into further education to study Illustration.

We're a very much devoted couple and both our hearts are set on living together in the very near future.

The problem is, we just don't know what to do, what the options are for her education, what benefits I would receive or not receive, whether moving out of my local area would have any effect on the benefits.

Really just looking for advice, my other half suggests adult learning courses but I am worried she would not be able to achieve the same qualifications. I'm really lost on this one, any help is greatly appreciated, at the moment this is hanging over us and we have no plan of action, it's very daunting.

Comments

  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,100
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DLA won't be affected. Income support may be affected if grants and loans (there are disregards) are more than what the government says you need to live on.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.