MSE News: The 91% motorway service station mark-up

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
60 replies 5.6K views
12346»

Replies

• WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a booklet showing all Tesco stores available at Tesco, and you could see which ones are en route.

But I think there is also some website or something that tells you of all the major supermarkets which are close to motorway junctions.
  • Russe11Russe11 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    You think this is news? its always been this way!
  • Wig wrote: »
    But I think there is also some website or something that tells you of all the major supermarkets which are close to motorway junctions.

it's called http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • Middy wrote: »
    It makes me angry that airports charge high prices for bottled water and soft drinks when the liquid restrictions are in place.

They should make their prices supermarket prices. Fine before the liquid restrictions as I used to go to the supermarket and buy drinks that were on offer.

Got to agree 100% with this.

Having said that, went through an airport recently and they had 1 ltr bottles at lots of the copncessions for £1 each [water aid or some such pretend charity bottle].....which is well cheaper.

Most expensive was 5 Euros for a 500ml bottle in a French provincial airport [I didn't buy it, needless to say].
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Oopsadaisy wrote: »

Which is all very well if you are an average motorist.

If my partner is on a week away from base in the truck, he can't usually carry enough fuel for the week, so has to use motorway services to diesel up, as unfortunately, regular petrol stations don't have a canopy high enough to get the trailer under.

It's all very well complaining about the prices, and then saying well just put a splash in to get you to the nearest Tesco etc, it's the people that are not paying to use the facilities that are pushing the prices up, so those that have no choice but to use them, have to pay more.
  • avantraavantra Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Jo_F wrote: »
    Which is all very well if you are an average motorist.

If my partner is on a week away from base in the truck, he can't usually carry enough fuel for the week, so has to use motorway services to diesel up, as unfortunately, regular petrol stations don't have a canopy high enough to get the trailer under.

It's all very well complaining about the prices, and then saying well just put a splash in to get you to the nearest Tesco etc, it's the people that are not paying to use the facilities that are pushing the prices up, so those that have no choice but to use them, have to pay more.

Most lorry drivers that drives to the continent fill their tanks there and only the necessary amount to get across in the UK itself.

For some reason known to gov the tax on diesel in the UK is much higher then other countries in Europe. Petrol is similar in the EU at around and over 60% taxed.

Diesel get a good subsidy on the continent but not here.
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuel card prices aren't the same as pump prices at service stations though.
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikey72 wrote: »
    Fuel card prices aren't the same as pump prices at service stations though.
    I thought lorrys and company car drivers were the only people to fill up there (apart from the desperate suckers) for that reason.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jo_F wrote: »

Err no, if the service stations had prices equal with the supermarkets, the number of customers filling up would rise. They are greedy and they won't ever get my custom more than a splash to get me to the next convienient point.

As an example I just entered the price for the LPG on this website for the "services" at Bridgend at 89.9 p they are the most expensive in the whole UK. Whereas everyone else in the area is around 69p. They are 30% more expensive.

The most I buy from them is 2 litres (minimum delivery) to get me home where I can fill up properly. It's still cheaper at their extortionate price than if I drive on petrol! If they were competitive at 67p or 68p like ASDA is further down the M4 at Cardiff, I would happily fill right up and give them £23 instead of £1.80.
  • If you take a look at truckdriver-online , cant post links, and look at their motorways services directory, there are lots of usefull information, to plan your stops.

this gives you a map of the whole motorway services area directory, included in these reviews, are what brands are at which services.

One good thing with this guide is you can search by area, by brands, by road, I use it to find the McDonalds on the motorways, as they have even increased there prices from inner town prices, so you can grab a coffee there for £1.69 where you buy one from Costa for £3.30

Its good news that macdonalds are entering the motorway services
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals